What supplies do you require?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 26, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 26, 2014

The other thread made me curious. What do you request students to purchase?

I require at least a 1" binder though I recommend a 2" binder. I also require them to have pens for quizzes and tests. They can do homework and class work in pencil or pen. They also need paper. Most students go through about a third-half pack of loose leaf paper. They are required to cover their books, but the school has free covers if they want.

This will be my third year and I've never had trouble with kids not getting supplies. There are occasions where they leave them somewhere, of course!

We have old binders that have been donated. The kids are free to take one if they need it.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 26, 2014

We are not allowed to require students to have any supplies.

I have a wish list, that most will bring, that consists of 2-3 spiral bound notebooks and a ream of copy paper.

4. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 26, 2014

Supplies

This list is for the whole school year. I don't send home a new list for the second semester. If all parent bring everything on the list, students won't run out before the end of the year.

2 boxes of 24 count pencils, 1 box cap erasers, 4 boxes of crayons 24 count, scissors, 15 glue sticks, 1 binder, 3 composition books, 2 folders,
    1 box of kleenex, 1 roll of paper towels, 1 bottle of hand sanitizer (girls), snack bags (girls), 1 bottle hand soap (boys), gallon bags (boys)

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2014

I ask that they come to class with a pen or pencil and a notebook to take notes. If they prefer a binder, they can just use a section in there for my class. . I provide loose leaf paper to use for in-class assignments but I ask that they keep some loose leaf paper at home for out-of-class assignments (which are extremely rare).

The issue I have is that in August, the kids have these things; by Thanksgiving, they have nothing. It's like once they have used up or lose the supplies they bought in August, that's it, they don't want to buy anymore. Of course, some kids are better than others, many more will have a pen or pencil but no paper/notebook. Then, there are the ones that need a pencil 1st period and then again when I see them 6th period.:rolleyes:

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

At a bare minimum, I expect students to bring Markers, crayons, pencils, erasers, scissors, glue, tape, ruler, folders, spiral notebooks, loose leaf paper, pencil box, clipboard, and various classroom supplies (Kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc). Not all students bring everything in, but enough do that it isn't too big a pain in the butt to make up the rest.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2014

Something to write with and something to write on

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2014

You ask kids to bring in copy paper? And they do?:eek::eek:

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

That's one of the classroom supplies I get from half the class too. It really makes life easier because I try to do a lot of foldables, which burns through copy paper quickly.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2014

Oh, I burn through it to. My choices are begging the office staff and then waiting for them to fill the copier if they want, or I have to buy my own. If I asked my students to buy me so copy paper, they would laugh me out of town.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

I teach elementary, and my program draws fairly high SES parents.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2014

I guess, I just feel bad asking for something the students are not directly using. While all of the copies I make are for the kids, the paper is still for my use. It's not like pens or notebooks.

Also, I know my Admin would approve of me asking parents for copy paper.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 26, 2014

Yep, that's why on my wish list I really only ask for 2 things.

I try to send the message that these are the supplies that I would really appreciate and would help the class the most.

Edit: have to add I do not use a math, reading, or writing textbook or workbook. So all work is designed either on copy paper or lined paper.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

I don't use any of the copy paper for the copier. It's solely for kid use. I earmark a few reams for foldables and other note-taking, and the rest I leave for the kids to use as drawing paper. This year, my kids ended up forming their own book clubs...a couple would write, others would draw, etc.

15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 26, 2014

Interesting.

I feel just the opposite. Copy paper is 100% crucial for the students education in my classroom and is by FAR the largest supply expense for day to day operations.

16. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 26, 2014

Not sure about your class, but a HUGE amount of copy paper is used for student thinking maps, one pagers, thinking frames..etc.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 26, 2014

I ask students to come with:

3 spiral notebooks
    Pencils
    Colored pencils
    3 boxes of tissues (if they all brought in 3, it would get us through the year)
    2 pocket folders
    Glue sticks

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2014

I agree about the expense. Even when I buy the $4 packs from Walmart or Target (not the red packs from Staples), it still adds up quickly and builds over the year.

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

I require:

paper for note-taking. Whatever form they prefer
    #2 pencils
    binder (can be shared with other classes)
    two packs of index cards
    a dark colored dry erase marker
    colored pencils

I suggest:
    dividers
    hand-held enclosed pencil sharpener
    pack of copy/printer paper for use at home
    additional index cards

I request for the classroom:
    Kleenex
    dark dry erase markers (we use these at stations)
    copy paper
    post-it notes

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

adding - last year I kept track of prices. Within the time frame of being told what to bring and the time of having supplies due, students could buy everything on the required list for less than $3. From stores that are all easily accessible from the same public bus stop. And not requiring an addition "$5 purchase" or anything.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 26, 2014

We're a 1:1 campus, and I'm about 90-95% paperless. All I ask is that my kids bring a pen or a pencil, but I have plenty if they don't.

A few years ago I started buying only really silly pens, like seasonal ones or pens that are shaped after a tourist attraction, etc. my pens totally stopped leaving my room! The kids love using them and they always return them! I didn't think it would work out so nicely. If I have a regular pen, it will disappear in a day or two, but my funky pens stay up until the ink runs out, and even then, the kids hate throwing them away.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2014

I require:
    - blue or black pens
    - 100 page comp book
    - folder or binder to store handouts
    - glue sticks

I have a lot of issues with kids forgetting their supplies.

My wish list:
    - copy paper
    - tissues
    - paper towels
    - glue sticks
    - gently used books

Some years are great with the wish list; some years, I don't get anything. Since I'm looping up this year, I'm not expecting much from the wish list.

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 26, 2014

My list:

Binder (can be shared with other classes)
    Composition book
    Pencils
    Black or blue pen for quizzes
    Portable sharpener (that catches shavings)
    Scissors
    Erasers
    Glue stick
    Colored Pencils
    Notebook with lined perforated pages or binder paper
    At least 1 box of tissues

Except for the composition book (which is our lab notebook) these are all things that can be used for other classes as well, and they aren't turned into me specifically.

This is my classroom wishlist:

Copy Paper (reams are especially appreciated)
    Color Copy Paper (any colors)
    Scratch paper (blank on one side)
    Kleenex (extremely helpful during allergy and cold seasons)
    Pencils, pens, colored pencils, markers, other office supplies
    Antibacterial wipes or paper towels (to clean desks)
    Band-aids or other first aid materials
    Glue Sticks

24. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 26, 2014

One year my son's school supply list called for 100 pencils. I was like...:mellow: I understand asking for a pack, but 100 per student not so much. Also on his list every year was hand sanitizer, copy paper, expo markers, and tissues. I feel this is stuff the school should supply. In addition to that, there was very specific colored folders, binders, etc (but I can get the wanting of those things, color coding is fine by me).

The school supply list for the school I will be working for looks pretty similar to the public schools in the area, so I guess asking for all these specific things is a localized kinda thing?

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

I have my students bring in 24 pencils, but still need to beg parents to send in more by Christmas, and end up buying several packs myself by the end of the year.

26. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 26, 2014

IIRC, all the grades at his school except 4th ask for closer to 24/36 pencils per child. Which makes more sense to me.
    I don't know what those 4th graders are doing, lol. I just sent 2 packs with the supplies and told him to come to me when he needed more.

As a teacher, I know the more you can get the better. But as a parent, I don't want to have to send extra because Bobby's parents didn't decide to buy any.

27. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 26, 2014

Nothing. My school holds several fundraisers all year long, and the proceeds go to fund school supplies for all kids. Each teacher gets $600 or so to buy school supplies. This money is only for school supplies for students, by state law, we get $500 (separate), per year to pay for classroom supplies (chart paper, teaching materials, copy paper, etc.)

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2014

Request and require are two different matters...that said, Im in a higher SES district. Most f the school supplies I request are sent. I send a reminder note for missing supplies and a replenishment note mid to late year if we start running out of stuff...which is rare.

29. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 26, 2014

I think supply lists can be a regional thing. In my part of Wisconsin, all districts have lists. I used to work at a teacher store, and many people would shop there for their supplies. Over the years, many families explained that they came from _____ state, where kids didn't have supply lists, so they weren't used to buying supplies.

Anyway, we have to agree on our supply lists as a grade level. They can't be teacher-specific, because they come out in June, and kids don't know who their teachers are until the end of August. Here is the 2nd grade list for next year:

-Backpack
    -24 no. 2 pencils
    -2 large pink erasers
    -1 24-count box of crayons
    -1 box wide tip classic color markers
    -4 black dry-erase markers
    -1 box colored pencils
    -1 bottle of glue
    -4 glue sticks
    -2 red pens
    -1 pair of scissors
    -2 highlighters
    -3 notebooks
    -5 folders
    -1 plastic envelope
    -2 1" binders
    -1 zippered pencil case
    -1 pencil box
    -2 boxes of tissues
    -1 box gallon or quart sized plastic bags
    -1 set of headphones

30. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jun 26, 2014

- A binder or a section in a larger binder (w/ paper)
    - A writing utensil

For my remedial kids, I'm even supplying the binders this year, so I'm just hoping they can handle the pen/pencil. :p