What supplies do you order for Preschool?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Feb 28, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

It looks like I will teaching Preschool next year. I will have to do the ordering more and likely. What are some must haves for Preschool as far as supplies and things for the room? I am not sure what I will have already and how much money to spend. I know all the big stuff like funiture is already there. I was hoping you all could help me with a list. I know I will need paint and construction paper. What do you order for the begining of the year?

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 28, 2010

Lots and lots of paper. I always go through more than I think I will. Construction paper, manila paper, drawing paper, newsprint paper, fingerpaint paper.

Chunky pencils for little fingers

Dry erase boards and markers

Individual chalkboards and markers

Things for your dramatic play area- kitchen food, dress up things, babies.

I'm just trying to think of the things that I use ALL the time that I could not live without. Is there a preschool teacher that you are replacing? You could ask him/her what they have and what they use most often. See if they have access to a supplies closet. Is this your money that you are spending or school money? That always changes the way I shop- when I spend school money, I try to buy the things that are going to get used up (paper, paint, art supplies), when I use my money I try to buy things that I will be able to keep for years (games, toys, my own personal supplies).

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 28, 2010

I am replacing a teacher. In fact I use to have this postion about 9 years ago, but then moved up to First grade. I am not sure what is in the room anymore. Our Preschool is part of a county co-op which is funded through the state. We are right now sharing a teacher with another district. That other district decided they didn't want to share anymore and they will have one of their teachers take over their preschool or they won't have it. So our preschool teacher has been let go and will not be picked up by our district either. She does not know yet that I will take it over. I feel really bad for her, because not only did she just lose her job, but she also lost her husband in January. He was only 32. Eventually I will be able to talk to her, but I want to wait until it is a done deal. I do know that they have the dramatic area and block are pretty stocked. I am not sure about the art center. I will also have a bigger room than they have right now. As far as money goes, I will have some provided through the grant to pay for supplies and also I will put some of my own money in it too. It has been so long since I have taught this age. I teach Kindergarten now. I will only have 10 kids. Hopefully by the end of the month I will know more.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 1, 2010

glue sticks, scissors, pencils, colored pencils, markers, erasers, crayons, cleaning stuff, circle time items, name tags, pencil sharpener, highlighters, sharpies, stapleer, scothc tape, duct tape, stikki clips, lots of books, mainpualtives, puzzles

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 2, 2010

wikki sticks, popsicle sticks, google eyes, feathers, glue, glue, glue, lots of kid scissors, markers, colored pencils (see if you can find teh chunky ones, they last a lot longer), paint of all kinds and colors

stuff for sensory play... playdough (though i make my own), shaving cream, sand, cornmeal, etc.

7. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Apr 2, 2010

We recently ordered a set of Wedgits.

Our kids will not stop playing with them. It's the best toy we've purchased in years. We bought a starter set which comes with 15 pieces, but quickly discovered we needed more pieces. So, we ordered the 125 piece Explorer set.

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Apr 2, 2010

We use Elmer's glue squeeze bottles and refill them as needed. We teach the children "just a dot, not a lot". This glue always holds their work, while things pop off with glue sticks.

As for paint, always order extra yellow. That colors mixes well with others, is used in abundance in summer, fall and spring, and once you are out there is no substitute.

Another hint for paint. If you add white paint to colors (not too much to make pastels though) the colors really POP when painted on dark paper.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 2, 2010

When I order paper and paint, I order based upon the holidays. For instance, spring will need lots of yellow and green.

If you want to be safe, just order primary colors.

10. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 2, 2010

Do you know anyone who works for an engineering company?

I don't teach at your grade, but I was in engineering for 15 years. We threw away mass quantities of paper, more than a entire pre-school could use.

Everything from printer paper to 4ft wide drafting paper from our plotters. Contact a few and ask if you could have their waste paper for your classes. It will just be white, but I'm betting you'll get more than you can use.

11. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Apr 2, 2010

That is a great idea! Also, I used to live in a town where the newspaper print was and they used to put their "end of the rolls" in a bin by the door that I could come and get during business hours.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2010

I always ask parents for donations of coloring paper and get tons of it. We use a lot of the back sides of paper for coloring. :)

I place the orders for our school and here's what we order (I'm at home so I'm relying on my memory.....I may forget somethings.)

construction paper (I get all colors, but I usually get about 20 packs of white...much more than any other color.)
    paint: red, blue, yellow, black, white (with these colors you can make any color you need)
    pipe cleaners
    tipped yarn laces
    pony beads
    tissue paper
    tag board
    yarn
    googly eyes
    various items for collage (sequins, anything that hits my fancy in the catalog)
    large quantities of play dough
    cray pas oil pastels
    watercolors
    gorilla glue
    clear tape
    masking tape
    colored electricians tape
    scissors
    stamp pads and ink
    label maker (I have the P-touch by Brother) and tape refill
    paper clips
    rubber bands
    file folders
    file folder labels
    permanent markers
    colored pencils
    regular pencils

Glue sticks, elmers glue, crayons and markers I buy at the back to school sales because they're sooooooooo much cheaper than they are in any school supply catalog, even Discount School supplies. You can get glue sticks for 10 cents a piece and bottles of Elmers glue for 20 cents a piece, packs of marker for a dollar and crayons for a quarter a pack. It's much cheaper.

13. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Apr 4, 2010

art smocks/smocks for water table/messy ativities (You can order them or use old shirts.

you should also check out donors choose for funding.

One tip I have is don't buy what you can make yourself, like lacing cards, matching games.

Once upon a child may be a good source for books and puzzles/games.

also check out sprout classroom (jem's site)