What supplements do you take?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 3, 2012

I recently started taking an amino acid called L-Theanine, at the advice of my brother. I was having a terrible bout of insomnia that lasted 2 months. L-Theanine is supposed to "support mental and physical relaxation." Placebo or not, it helps! I take it at night and in the morning and I feel pretty great. I sleep much better and feel more focused during the day.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

None at all.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 3, 2012

Vitamin D3
    Selenium
    Super Shield Supreme Multi-Strain Adult Probiotic Formula
    Recently started Slim Select GT300 w/ Raspberry Ketones

My (very health-conscious) mom, on the other hand has about 15 bottles of vitamins on her kitchen counter so she's taking about 2 grps of supplements a day & gives some to my dad too.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

I use a tablespoon of flax oil in my shake each day...it's something I need. That's the one thing I aim to take every day.

I have B12 supplements but don't take them daily...they're tiny and yummy cherry things that dissolve. That's good, because I cannot swallow pills.

6. MsG

MsG Companion

Sep 3, 2012

I take magnesium. It has a lot of benefits, but I take it for digestion and heartburn. It has helped a lot. I need to take calcium.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 3, 2012

A multivitamin in the a.m. and 2000 IU of Vitamin D in the evening.

8. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Sep 3, 2012

Vitamin D because of a genetic deficiency. After I was laid off from teaching last year, I took a job working for a raw ingredient company. This company was a middle man for manufacturers who were making vitamins/supplements/energy drinks who needed the supplements in powder form.

After working for this company I have a few words of advice. Only take supplements if recommended by a doctor. Secondly, buy cheap, get cheap. After seeing how these powders were treated and documents falsified, I would be very cautious as to what supplements you are buying and be careful what you are putting in your body. Most of the supplements that were sold for example vitamin C or Ginseng were only 5-10% of the actual product and the rest were "fillers" so you really were getting a bunch of synthetic filler material.

I have friends who take dozens of supplements daily.. I think that is nuts. Unless you have a true deficiency or situation which causes you to take a supplement, as in your case, do so.. otherwise I would be careful. And by no means am I saying that all supplements and vitamins fall into this category, I'm just saying that they are out there and to do your research before taking something and putting it into your body.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

I think that's great advice. I certainly take only what I truly need.

It's important to remember there are groups paying big bucks to persuade us we need more, more, more! More calcium, more meat for protein! It's money they are concerned about...not our health.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

A multi-vitamin
    Omega 3s
    Vitamin B Stress Tabs

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 3, 2012

I buy supplements, but end up not really taking them. :whistle:

Calcium is one I need to be better about taking-my mom has osteoporosis and I don't really eat dairy.

12. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 3, 2012

I'm a vegetarian, so I make sure to take a B-complex everyday.

Other than that I take a probiotic, garlic, calcium with D (my mom and grandma have arthritis!) and a multi-vitamin. I think it's definitely helped me--I don't get sick very often and when I do I recover very quickly.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

Prenatal vitamin
    Regular multivitamin
    Vitex (chasteberry)
    Black cohosh

I take the prenatal because my doctor believes that all women of childbearing age should take prenatals "just in case". I take the other multivitamin on her advice as well because it contains a few things that either the prenatal doesn't have or I'm slightly deficient in. I take the vitex and black cohosh for menstrual issues.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 3, 2012

I'm another who subscribes to the KISS method.

I take a green supplement (spirulina/alfalfa/kelp/basically whichever I feel like at the moment) as a multivitamin sort of thing, with every meal. I consider it as good or better than a traditional multivitamn because I tend to think that it is an actual food (for purposes of absorption). That's pretty much it... I just pop a few every time I eat.

I've also started doing turmeric cuz I had a staph infection this summer.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

I take L-Tryptophan, a probiotic, a multi-vitamin, and biotin daily (or when I remember). The L-Tryp is a mood and sleep enhancer which I took on the recommendation of a therapist I was seeing for weight loss. The biotin I just started taking because my hair is thinning because of my thyroid.

I am going to see an endocrinologist soon - my regular doctor insists he can manage my thyroid but it's just not working out. We changed my meds about a year ago and about 6 months ago I started noticing my hair getting thinner and it keeps getting worse, along with other symptoms. But anyway, once I get that under control with meds, I am going to continue to focus on my thyroid health with supplements - selenium for starters.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

I take prenatal vitamins, but that's it.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

Probiotic :)

18. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

I take adult gummy vitamins! The brand is Vitafusion. I love them. I take a daily calcium/vitamin d supplement, which was advised by my doctor. I also have a multivitamin that I take when I remember.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 3, 2012

When I was trying to get pregnant and while pregnant I was much better about taking my vitamins and supplements, now I usually take 2 Flintstone vitamins when I give them to the kids and that is all.

20. wellsronald18

wellsronald18 New Member

Sep 5, 2012

No I don’t take any supplements. Eight hour sleep is sufficient for me to feel fresh and energetic in the morning. And I go on morning walk as morning sun rays provide us lots of vitamin 'D'.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 5, 2012

I just got a bottle of the Nature's Made gummies but I have use Vitafusion before. You would be surprised how easy it is to remember to take it since it's like candy! I was taking the calcium gummy too but I think I'm going to switch to Adora chocolate calcium disks. My friend takes them right before bed and counts it as her "dessert".