What subject should I teach?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Cutie_8807, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Cutie_8807

Cutie_8807 New Member

Sep 20, 2006

Hey! I'm a highschool senior. I've decided that I would love to be a high school teacher. I just don't know exactly what subject I would like to teach. I most likely should be an English teacher because I find myself correcting grammar on a daily basis. :rolleyes: It is just one of those pet peeves of mine. I also like history and science. Math...Well, that's a different story. I'm not horrible in math, but I do have to work hard. So anyway, Could you guys please give me the pros and cons of your subjects? :thanks: :D

3. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Well, I'm very new to the teaching profession myself, but I'll give you my two cents... I'm endorsed in English and history - you may find many colleges have options of getting endorsed to teach two subjects. I'm currently teaching English and have never taught history full-time yet. English is great because there's lots of fun cross-curricular activities you can do with almost any literature (right now for example I'm really bringing in lots of historical connections in our study of The Crucible) and I really enjoy seeing the lit through new eyes myself as I help the kids understand it. A downside is there's lots of grading (as in any subject) and English sems to have more subjective grading than some other subjects, which takes more time (for me at least).
    And yes, if you regularly catch others' grammar mistakes, you're probably cut out to be an English teacher. :)
    I recommend just to go with what you have the most interest in. Good luck and I'm glad you're considering this profession! It's very rewarding!

4. Docere

Docere Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

Definitely go for the subject that has most interested you and that you have done well in. Also, perhaps you would make a great math teacher simply because it has not been your easiest subject. You could relate well to students who are struggling and probably be able to help them.

5. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 30, 2006

I only lack one class of being endorsed in High school English. I am currently endorsed NK-8. When the Asst. Superintendent told me that, I did not tell him that was my worst subject. A lot of people have told me if I don't understand the literature stuff then I would not be able to teach it. So I am kind of in the same boat as you would be in math. I am questioning whether I should even try it. I did survive all the English and Literature I took in college with B's and C's but I am not great at it.

6. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

I'm from Missouri originally and I have my credentials in middle school with emphasis in Language Arts and Social Studies, and when I graduated I was 6 hours away from a concentration in Science as well. I just couldn't choose so I did the majority of them. To teach literature, something has to make you want to do it - to love the books you are teaching, even a little bit. If you don't, the kids pick up on that quickly. My suggestion is to observe in any kind of classroom you feel you would be comfortable and then go from there. I found that after observing, I was more drawn to English and History. If you aren't comfortable in Math, what Science subjects would you want to teach? This is a question I had to ask myself. I like Science, but I only like certain subjects, probably not even enough to fill a teacher's schedule. Be passionate about what you teach. What subjects do you smile going to? What are the subjects you have ideas about?

7. ybkadvzr

ybkadvzr New Member

Oct 3, 2006

There are a lot of things to consider when choosing which subject to teach. First, you want to make sure you are comfortable with the material you are teaching and feel prepared to answer the random questions students come up with. Second, think about the amount of prep work and grading related to your subject. I teach science which has lots of laboratory prep time (and time for cleaning glassware) and grading time for lab reports. Third, you want to feel passionate about your subject, understand why your subject is relevant to the world and why students should be educated in it. Spend some time tutoring students, working with different age groups, and see where you connect the best. Good luck.