What subject should I teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by squeally dan, Jan 28, 2010.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Rookie

Jan 28, 2010

I'm in Alabama. I'm 40 and thinking about a career change.

I think I would like to teach Math, but all my course work is in science, English, and Psychology. It looks to me like it would take much less time to become a science teacher.

I wouldn't mind teaching science, but I really think I would enjoy Math more.

Are Math/Science teachers really the most in demand? What about teaching English.

Also, I am laid back and soft spoken person. Will I be able to manage highschool/middle school aged kids? I know I've asked this before but thanks!

3. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Math and Science are in more demand normally.

Teach what you love. If you don't love your subject, your students won't either. If you dont care about your subject, your students won't either.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 28, 2010

Welcome Squealy Dan.

Teach what you love, math is in demand.

Good luck.

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Rookie

Jan 28, 2010

Lots of my undergrad classes are in psychology and science. I work as a dietitian, but for some reason I really think I would like Math. I don't know that I "love" either of them.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

Math, Physics and Chemistry are the typical high demand areas.

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

Sciences tend to involve active labs and busy students. Stereotypically not the best place for a soft spoken teacher, though I am sure there are exceptions. Science was the only way for me- active explorations with the kids, easy links to history, math, and writing.

To me, personal traits that make up good math teachers are an attention to detail, willingness to endure repetition and have patience for students' practicing and for grading details.

I have a view of English teachers as being more abstract, of seeing broad connections among things, of drawing creativity and analysis from their students, and for grading mounds of essays!

8. squeally dan

squeally dan Rookie

Jan 29, 2010

Good description. I never thought about science encompassing history, math, and writing. Thats a nice angle.