What states have strong teacher unions and how do they help?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

I have read where some of you have strong unions that help you. Ours does not help us. How do some states have strong unions and others do not?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 1, 2009

Our state (commonwealth, actually) is a right-to-work state, and therefore we do not have a "union." We have associations (yep, same thing) only no one has to belong, and they can only help out with collective bargaining, etc if the district agrees to allow them to. I would say that fewer than half of our teachers belong to one of the associations, and most of those belong simply to get the teacher's insurance (in case we get sued for something.) As times get harder here, more and more will drop their membership, because it is quite expensive considering. (About $450 per year.)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2009

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 1, 2009

Can't help you on that one. No teachers' union here in GA.

7. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

NYSUT is one of the strongest teacher's union in the country. My local has had several labor/management issues in the past few years. When our
    local was unable to resolve the issue, NYSUT stepped right in. The lobbying that NYSUT does is excellent. I feel very confident that if I ever had an issue I would have strong backing.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2009

Our union is also voluntary and they complain they can't be effective because people won't join it. I quit because I needed the 50$ per month for living expenses. The union files grievances and the school board tells them up front that they don't have money to pay when the union wins. Which they do for almost every grievance filed. I guess it's a catch 22 situation.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2009

Nope, no union here in TX either.

10. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

Oregon has a state union, but most of the work is done by district level associations. Our district association is very strong. They negotiate our contract and the substitutes contract; they are active in education politics and provide lots of additional support for teachers who seek it. I have also witnessed our association been integral in helping removing some administrators from direct supervision of students and staff in schools.

11. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

Minnesota has a union and from my experience it is pretty beneficial. I'm not sure what they do in the school districts, but I know they help a lot with the student program and really help the students become involved at the state level as well as the local level.

12. SoCal_Sub

SoCal_Sub Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

California Teachers Association is a very powerful union. Unfortunately, they are bankrupting our state.

13. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

No union in NC, just an ineffective branch of the NEA.

14. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

:hijack: (sorta)

ok... so whats the difference between "right to work" and "at will"? CA has a union and they are at will, MI has unions (i believe) and they are at will, NC doesn't allow them - but they are also at will... what gives?

15. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 28, 2009

Utah has a good union. Each district has their own association. They work for our salaries and benefits and represent us if tey are troubles with principals.
    Our union also helped to defeat a school voucher program last year. They also fight with our legislature to get us the money we need. Our legislature seems to hate teachers.