What state tests do your students take?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ms_teacher, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Nov 9, 2008

I am a 5th grade teacher in NYC. We take a NYS Social Studies Assessment the 2nd week of November.

In January (usually the 2nd week) we take the NYS ELA Assessment.

In March we have a NYS Math Assessment.

What assessments do your 5th graders take? Do they count towards your school's AYP?

Our Math & ELA scores count towards the AYP. Beginning next year the SS scores will count also!!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2008

In MA the fifth graders take the MCAS ELA test in March and the MCAS math, science, and social studies in May. Up until now only the ELA, math, and science tests counted towards AYP, but the social studies scores will count starting this year.

4. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Nov 9, 2008

So you guys have 3 seperate tests in May? Or is the test in May one multi-curricular test?

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2008

Three separate tests. We end up with 5 days of testing in May (2 math, 2 science, 1 SS).

6. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Nov 9, 2008

Wow!! That's a rough schedule!! Do you do test prep? How does it work?

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2008

Yeah, it's tough.
    We've already started test prep for the ELA test in March. That ends up being 3 days of testing. We've already started practicing writing answers to open response questions since that's the area where our school tends to struggle the most. We'll do about 4 weeks of more intensive test prep right before the test also.

I don't teach math, science, or social studies, but those teachers use MCAS style questions all year to familiarize the students with them and spend some time reviewing and preparing right before the tests in May.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 9, 2008

In Ohio, we take 4 achievement tests: Reading, Math, Science and Social Studies. All four tests are given the 3rd week in April. (every other day) The Reading and Math count towards our district's AYP.

9. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Nov 9, 2008

In Texas, we take Reading, Math and Science. I think they're more spread out this year... maybe March, April and May? Kids get a second opportunity to retake Reading and Math before the end of the school year.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2008

My kids take an InView IQ test in September. A local writing assessment in March. And, their EOGs(End of Grade Test) in May. That takes 2-3 weeks as some kids have to retake it if they fail. There is: 1 day science, 1 day reading, 2 days math. Then make ups. 2 days to remediate. And then retakes for those who failed the first time. They retest because they can't go to 6th grade with out passing.

11. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

We have all of our testing in May. Our 5th graders take ELA, Math, and Science tests. I think it's 5 days of testing (2 each for math and ELA and 1 for Science).

12. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

We have the ADAW in February (Alabama Direct Assessment of Writing). We then have the SAT and the ARMT (Alabama Reading and Math Test) in April, both during the same week. So 1 day for the ADAW, then 5 for SAT/ARMT. We have 6 days of testing.

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Nov 22, 2008

I'm in TN. We use the Terra Nova. Our 5th graders also take a state wide writing assessment. Our whole school prepares for the writing assessment by having school wide writing prompt days where each grade level writes and then we score the prompts.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

ITBS in the Fall (Any bad scores are blamed on the 4th grade teachers...:whistle:)

Writing test in March (Writing tests are given in 5th, 8th, and 11th)

CRCT in late April--If they don't pass math or reading they are supposed to fail 5th... And they take a language test, Social Studies, and Science. All but the Social Studies counts toward AYP. Social STudies will count next year.

It's more of a problem in that all kids in 5th grade, no matter their individual concerns, have to take the 5th grade Writing test and CRCT. So I have mentally handicapped students who can barely read sitting there staring at words and guessing answers...and expected to pass.

I have students who are learning disabled and their IEP says they are to be taught on a different grade level, and yet they're taking the test and expected to pass. (How come we're not being sued?)

Students who barely speak English are taking the 5th grade test--no modifications except small group testing and longer time permitted.

Ridiculous.

15. mustang sally

mustang sally Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

I am feeling your pain, too. No one seems to understand our dilema. I keep hearing NCLB--but children are being left behind!