What spelling program does your school use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by massteacher, Mar 18, 2012.

1. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Mar 18, 2012

Wondering what spelling programs your school uses, and what grade it starts in. Likes, dislikes? We are meeting this week to explore different curriculums to be used in all grades. Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2012

Not necessarily a program, more of a philosophy...I use a workshop approach with Words Their Way.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2012

Literacy by Design- it's a reading program but comes with word study/spelling. The reading program has been abandoned this year in favor of "rigorous curriculum design" but most teachers still use the LBD word study/spelling component.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2012

Zaner-bloser spelling books. I think they're called Spelling Connections or something like that? (I don't personally teach this as I'm a resource room teacher, this is in the main classrooms. But I've seen it around. Sometimes one of my kids brings it to me asking for help. My overall feeling is that there's nothing terrible about this book but I don't love it either. I'm more of a word study type of person. In this book, each chapter has a list of 20 words. Each chapter has some kind of theme - e.g. prefixes, a phonetic element (r-controlled vowels, long e sound...) That part makes sense. But I feel that the way several different things are targeted at once defeats the purpose a bit, I think it confuses more than teaches. I also don't really understand how the words were chosen, they're not always so useful and the list almost always excludes some exceptions to the rules it's teaching. I mean, it's good for kids to learn exceptions but piling it all in one big list again just seems like too much to me. Also, the sentences given as examples for each word don't seem to me to provide much context to help the students grasp the meaning and usage well. There are some decent activities in each chapter to reinforce the vocabulary and spelling.

Overall I just don't love it or hate it. I teach the LD kids so maybe I'm just looking for something more different... This program doesn't really lend itself to thoughtful differentiation. If my kids' teachers are stubborn about them staying with the class's program in spelling, then I'm just stuck helping them memorize the slightly arbitrary seeming lists of 20 words every dang week.

6. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Mar 18, 2012

Fundations

We use Fundations. I believe is aligned with the Orton Gillingham philosophy. It's new to me this year. I've always taught Words Their Way. Some of it, I think is confusing and some of it I think is too slow. I may just be that I'm stuck on what I am comfortable with! It is worth checking out though.

The most amazing thing that is happening in spelling right now is Real Spelling. Google Pete Bowers. Look at youtube videos of people teaching word sums. It is changing my teaching. Students are really taking to it. It is not a program, but a philosophy of how to teach spelling with a greater emphasis on morphology. I think it would take a really onboard, smart and supported faulty to implement it though. Go to literacybytes.com if you want to see how a school is doing it.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2012

We use the spelling program that came with the Treasures series. It is very similar to what BoredofEd described. It does little to really differentiate for my students who cannot spell. And spelling at my grade level seems to have gotten worse in the five years that we have used the program.