What special thing does your class do?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by msufan, Oct 21, 2011.

1. msufan

msufan Comrade

Oct 21, 2011

What's one specific, unique thing that you do with your students that makes your class special? It could be something academic, team-building, whatever you wish to share.

My example: Each Friday afternoon, my students and I finish the week with an extremely boisterous classroom cheer to ensure that everyone finishes the week with a positive memory and a smile.

You?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 21, 2011

On Fridays after our weekly test, the read-aloud I use is one that's purely for fun. They are fans of the Pigeon books so we've done those. Today it was Skippyjon Jones. That's been the tradition that I started with this group. I think they look forward to meeting the next crazy character.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2011

Fridays are spelling tests. Reading buddies with a k class.

Everyday on the way out, kids can choose a high five, hug or handshake.

5. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 21, 2011

I do an art project every Friday afternoon. Cut and paste, paints, directed drawing or whatever I think of. I started this after my daughter had a miserable fifth grade. She told me at the end of the year they only did art three times that you and it was always with their kindergarten buddy class. She just felt like everything was structured and she has a creative side I think they would draw a picture to go with a story here and there. She has always enjoyed art and I just feel art and PE are subjects that students love. I took some classes many years ago (before the internet) where I got most of the ideas I use today. Most of the lessons have enough direct steps that all the students projects turn out decent and there are still individual parts that the students do to make the piece theirs. I save most of the art and each child makes a portfolio at the end of the year to take it home. I have had a lot of positive response from my students and their parents. Many of my co-workers can not imagine how I have the time to do art every week. Personally, I think we all make the time for what is important to us. After art we have recess and then come back in and have a form of a class meeting. We discuss things that went well, how we can make our class better and then share compliments. Some students pass when it is their turn but by the end of the year almost all the students have something to share. I really look forward to my Friday afternoons.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 21, 2011

I used to tell my students, "you've been soooooo good today. I think should stop and do an extra writer's workshop." They bought it hook line and sinker ever single time I suggested it as a reward. Sometimes I also used it to motivate them to get through their work faster and stay on task just so we would have time at the end of the day to earn extra writing time.

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 23, 2011

When I call on someone who doesn't know the answer, I let him/her use a lifeline (Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?) - phone a friend, poll the class, etc.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 23, 2011

When I get ready to teach something especially confusing I close the blinds, pull the shade on the door, and whisper. I look out into the hall to make sure no one is listening or watching. I swear the kids to secrecy. Then I proceed to teach a MATH SECRET!! :whistle:

I have a mantra they know by heart: Do it right or....DO IT AGAIN!

When I want them to remember something I have them repeat it in different voices: baby voice, country hick voice, opera voice, rap voice, quiet voice, cheerleader voice, etc.

I give high fives (or hugs) as they leave every day. Often my class from last year begs for high fives on their way out behind my class :hugs:

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2011

Same here!:love:

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2011

Teachermom, you should look up an interview by Patricia Pollacco for her book Thank You Mr. Falkner. (I'm on my phone so I can't double check the spelling of her last name).

She has dyslexia, dysgraphia, sensory integration and something else. She's a published author and illustrator of over 60 children's books. That book is about a girl who couldn't read until about 5th grade when her teacher finally made a connection and got her some extra help. It's based on her life. In her interview she mentions how the arts and physical education are life savers to kids like her and how now some schools are doing away or reducing it. It's a shame.

11. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 24, 2011

tgim - great idea! I will be borrowing that one.

queenie - I like the repeat in different voices idea. I will be using that one as well.

Our class thing is charades. We play every friday. The kids are split into teams of about 3-4. They are given something to act out by me and the rest of the class has to figure it out. Each kid is allowed one guess that they can shout out. We have a great time every Friday. It also helps to motivate the kids if they are slacking.

12. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 27, 2011

Patrica Pollacco

She is a wonderful author. She used to live about 15 minutes from my town. She was just starting out when I was in college. I have seen her twice in her early days. She is so cool! She brought the quilt once and the other time part of the meteor. Did you know that she started writing because she wanted to illustrate childrens books and could not get a chance. She decided to start writing stories of her and her families lives. I have not kept up on all of her current books so thank you for the tip. I would like to say that the daughter I was referring to is in now a high school freshman and has 5 "As" and 1 "b". She just needed time to sprout and a little love along the way. Now she writes poetry for a hobby.

13. msufan

msufan Comrade

Oct 27, 2011

I love these ideas from everyone!

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 27, 2011

I also check to be sure my door is shut before I tell my kinder kids they are the smartest and best class in the United States of America! :lol: They LOVE this! I believe in the self fulfilling prophecy...:)

I also tell each one of my children I love them on their way out the door. This has really helped with the behaviors in my classroom. If I get upset or have to reprimand a certain student, I usually tell them after a few minutes that I still love them! Once after I had a stern talk in the hallway with one of them, he came back and asked me if I still loved him! So, now I say it to them daily!:)

I think my main thing is to be enthusiastic and make learning fun! It's more than worksheets and reading and math! I always dreamed of becoming an actress...now I get to perform daily from 8-3:30 and my fans, errr...I mean, my students are always shouting my name, giving me hugs, and smiles like I'm on the red carpet! lol I have the best job ever!!!:)

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 27, 2011

That is really neat Teacher Mom. I enjoyed pouring over some of her interviews. She would be one author I would love to see present to a group of students or even some of he teachers. In fact, I'm looking for a read aloud of one of that book so I can give send it to someone who could use a bit of confidence as she tackles adult reading classes.