What Special Ed License Should I get?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by UpperMidwest, Dec 20, 2016.

1. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Dec 20, 2016

I have been working as a para for about 4 months in special ed and am considering becoming a special education teacher. (I already have a BA and a master's ((outside of education - long story)). What's the best type of special ed license?

I am thinking I want to teach middle or high schoolers. Would a license in developmental disabilities or autism be better, in terms of job opportunities and general work satisfaction? EBD might be a bit more than I can handle. I would like to teach DAPE / adaptive PE but maybe the job market is tight there? Or maybe some other specialty that I haven't mentioned? Perhaps some people here can share some info about that.

Thanks.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 20, 2016

In my state two certifications cover all of it - mild/moderate and severely developmentally disabled. I guess it depends on your state and local needs.

4. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Dec 20, 2016

Thanks for the response. i am in Minnesota. Are you happy with your job (overall)?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2016

In the states I've worked in, there aren't separate categories for each disability type, except for vision and teachers of the Deaf. You're certified for special ed, and principals put you where they want/need you from there. If you're thinking of teaching middle and high school, I'd get a generic SPED certificate and work on getting HQ status in at least one major content area. I can't speak to adapted PE, but I'm reasonably sure the adapted PE teachers I've worked with were PE teachers first and got whatever endorsement they needed to teach adapted PE.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 20, 2016

Yes.

... But that is because I left special ed once and for all and went back to gen. ed. I was always miserable in special ed.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2016

Ditto. It takes a special type of person to be a career special education teacher, and I am NOT that special type of person.

bella84 likes this.
  8. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Dec 21, 2016

Here in NC we have two license options as well- one covers mild-moderate and the other is for severe-profound disabilities. I am certified for both, but I have only worked in a resource setting and thus only needed the first one. At one point, mainly my first year and a half of teaching, I thought there was not way I could do special ed long term (as in, most/all of my career) but the last year and half has been great. Maybe I'm just at the right school and in the right place, but I really enjoy it.

There are fewer job opportunities for self contained classroom teachers (more severe disabilities) and lots of openings for resource and/or inclusion positions. We have one adapted PE teacher for the whole district, but this is also a very small school district. I think it does tend to be harder to find that kind of position, but a bigger school system would probably have more need.

9. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Dec 23, 2016

That.
    Adapted P.E. usually requires a Master's degree, special education certification/experience, and an additional set of courses to add the endorsement too. Some states may also require a licensure test or general physical education teaching experience too.
    :)

10. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Dec 24, 2016

I am trying to find a masters program to get my special ed masters and certification. Ours goes by age group.