What sorts of stuff have you been doing to get ready for BTS?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 28, 2014

We go back in less than a month, so I've been trying to be proactive and do things at home to prepare for the upcoming year. My projects this week are:

1. Write 5 - 10 days worth of emergency sub plans (so far I've completed two. It's a pain and time-consuming, but better now than during the school year)

2. Rewrite the parent handbook

3. Continue reading a book about implementing effective small reading groups

4. Research and write down ways to better organize my classroom and self this school year.

5. Setting up my parent contact logs

6. Refilling my prize box

How about you guys?

3. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

We start back next week and this is what I have accomplished:

1. Stayed on AtoZ, Pintrest, Various teacher blogs, and TeacherPayTeachers.

2. Raided Target, Walmart, Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and the Parent Teacher Store.

3. Looked at the Clearance on-line clothing sales didn't buy.

4. Jotted down interesting classroom websites (which I already lost).

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 28, 2014

lol about #3. I hear ya! I rarely shop online for clothes, but I am an online shoe shopping machine. I have issues with my feet, so most shoes in stores are either uncomfortable and cute, or comfortable and ugly.

I've found several online stores that sell great shoes, but I've found cute and comfy tends to be expensive. They also sell out of black shoes really fast.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

I went to school today to drop something off and "peeked" in my room which turned into rearranging furniture :rolleyes:. I just have 2 shelves I'm debating placement on. I've bought some back to school stuff and done some thinking on changes I'd like to make and that's all.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

I wish the general public (parents, in particular) knew about all the behind-the-scenes "stuff" that happens in preparation for the school year!

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

I've been doing a lot of planning. Getting things ready for the first day-calendars, syllabus, parent letter, etc... I've revamped my quizzes for August for three classes.

Good idea about emergency lesson plans. I should make sure those are in order plus my sub letter with schedule.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

Not a darn thing....I still have the ENTIRE month of August off

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2014

I've done some planning, cleaned out my closet, reorganized my math manipulatives, and printed out some things. I will start working in my room next week and start teacher days the week after that.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

Unpacked my entire room from boxes and tubs -- 7 tubs alone where the text books.... it was exhausting, and I was so lucky my Dad (he's retired) came along and helped out (read: did all the heavy work.) We go back to work next week, so I now feel comfortable that I'm ready to go back.

I'm still waiting for them to bring me the 8 extra desks I'll be needing (I had an especially small class last year.)

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2014

I am eagerly awaiting an e-mail from my P telling us when we can get back into our rooms. The first day for teachers is Friday of next week, and I remember it was right around this time last year that we were allowed to start setting up. My new teammate will be in new teacher orientation starting on Monday next week, so I was kind of hoping we could get in before then. I'm also meeting with my team for happy hour on Monday to start talking about things we want to do for the year. We're doing things way differently this year, so I'm definitely not planning or shopping yet. I'm not even 100% sure which grade levels/students I'll have yet.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2014

Since I'm in a new school and grade level, I haven't done much. I've scoured Pinterest. I've done some savvy shopping (seriously, I make charts). I move into my apartment tomorrow, so I've been a bit distracted. Plus tonight was my board meeting for approval, so now I'm finally official. Things will start rolling soon. I'm teaching summer school starting on Monday, so I will probably stay after a little bit every day to work on my room.

13. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I've been in my room at least 3-4 days a week since June.

I have:

1. Painted my entire classroom, bookshelves, cubbies, and even the bulletin boards so I don't have to deal with paper.

2. I have created new bulletin board displays for all 11 boards in my room.

3. I organized my library sorting out my teacher mentor text and labeling AR books.

4. I traded my desk for tables.

14. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

I've scoured Goodwill, Half Price Books and Amazon for books for my classroom library, attended tons of PD on curriculum and balanced literacy and bought stuff from Teacher Heaven, Lakeshore Learning, TpT for resources for the first week of school... I haven't been in my classroom to decorate yet-I'm starting on Thursday! :D

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2014

I've been doing lots of reading and have attended two 3-day workshops. This week, I need to start to get some of the new ideas organized and start on my long-range plans for the year.

16. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

Great ideas of things to be working on!

I went into my classroom for the first time yesterday. I am moving rooms so it took longer than I anticipated.

I have also bought some things at WalMart and Dollar Tree.

17. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 29, 2014

I've been reading all of the curriculum guides that I had access to when we let out in June and creating a yearlong plan for ELA. I've also been putting together my handouts for back to school night and writing down all the policies and routines I want to inforce start on the first day.

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 29, 2014

I love all your responses! these are so awesome ideas. I saw a lot of stuff I hadn't even thought of yet. I want to enjoy the last few weeks of summer, but I also want to be prepared. This is going to be a pretty big year for me (team leader, working on buying a house, trying to start a family, grad school, etc) so anything I can do now to prepare me for school is a huge help.

19. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 29, 2014

I have started my planning binder for the year, purchased some books for my classroom library, and gone into full blown panic mode...lol! I did not think I'd be teaching this year, and the position, quite frankly, fell into my lap. Don't get me wrong, I am ECSTATIC!! However, I am newly relocated to the state of Florida, wasn't expecting to work this school year, and am pretty much starting from scratch...hence, panic mode. I know everything will work out. Looking forward to a great school year.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2014

1. Did my pacing guide for the year

2. Update my TA letter

3. Work on my class website

4. Create a homework registry on Google

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2014

I went back yesterday.

I didn't do a single thing at home this summer. For the past couple of weeks I've gone in here and there and gotten my room ready.

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2014

I've been finding CCSS curriculum ideas at Teachers Pay Teachers for all subjects. They even have Next Generation Science Standards aligned materials! Today, I wrote/updated/aligned all my curriculum maps. Later in the week, I'll write lesson plans for the first few weeks so that everything is ready to turn in. We have a new principal and she hasn't said anything about plans and curriculum maps for the upcoming year so I figure she might spring it on us at teacher orientation which will be the last thing I need to add to my To Do list right before the kids come!

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2014

Just curious...Is your pacing guide the same as a curriculum map? We've never been asked to do one but I should probably know the difference just in case.