What social distancing isn't during a pandemic

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.history, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 4, 2020

Anyone see the pictures from this district in GA going around?
    https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/pa...-school-spotlight/YTZC6OZMGNAR7LLHCIKT5PYXCQ/\

I live in GA but I don't work in that district. Not surprised by the pictures, there was another close by district to this one that had to shut down a 2nd grade class on the second day of school. They just quarantined that class for two weeks.

Going to be a wild ride everyone

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2020

Those pictures quickly made the rounds here and I'm nowhere near GA! I can't believe at this point there are places that aren't requiring masks- especially for older students. I mean really, what do they think is going to happen?

stargirl likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 5, 2020

I am shocked by how many people still think this whole thing is a hoax. My husband's family was hit hard, with three of his aunts and uncles in the hospital, and both of his parents at home for weeks to ill to do much but lay in bed. Unfortunately, these are country people, and the animals still needed to be tended to and the fence lines still needed to be walked, etc. They had a hard time resting enough to heal. Prior to that they all thought they were safe because they lived in the country and it wasn't bad there.

People really don't understand how dangerous this is.

5. Aug 6, 2020

It is so shocking to see such a pic. Why are people so careless? And that too, after testing teachers and students positive. A pandemic is not a joke. We need to create more awareness among the general public.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 6, 2020

The general public (in general) must be clueless. Do you know what the public is saying? "Teachers need to do their jobs and go back to school. Why can't kids go back to school"??? Blah Blah Blah. THIS IS WHY. Hoards of kids walking on top of eachother in a hallway. What's the point of putting their desks 6 feet apart if they are walking like this in between classes???

stargirl and readingrules12 like this.
  7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2020

This picture screams out poor planning by administration. Instead of coming up with procedures to make sure social distancing happens when passing classes, administration either didn't care or didn't prepare...suffer the children.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 6, 2020

They had plenty of time to prepare a plan. I'm assuming if these students are starting back so early they got out of school sometime in May. What were they doing all this time? Twiddling their thumbs?

Backroads and readingrules12 like this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2020

Two students to posted those pictures were suspended for doing so!

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 6, 2020

That’s awful.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2020

They're safer at home. It's a blessing in disguise.

12. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Aug 7, 2020

My hallways will look like this Monday. All we've been told is nothing else is possible. We have 1500 students 7-12. Ugh.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 7, 2020

I'm fortunate that there are about 100 students in my school and the hallways are wide enough for people to walk on either side safely. Heck, there's hardly anyone in the hallway because we don't switch classes. I can't imagine all the kids walking on top of each other all day.
    A friend of mine posted this ridiculous article about how teachers need to do their jobs and go to school. The article complained that all essential workers have been working without complaining so teachers need to just do it too.I really hate articles like that. Just because my school can teach students in person safely doesn't mean others can. This friend loves posting ridiculous articles so I'm not surprised anyway.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

Too bad that your admin. is backing down from the challenge. Not sure how serious things are in your county or state, but here are a few things that could greatly keep the students safer. I realize all of these are not easy.

1. Have teachers switch instead of the students. Probably not always possible, but why not try it where it can work.
    2. Alter switching times, so not everyone switches at the same time.
    3. Require mask wearing during passing times for all students.
    4. Consider longer classes and less times a week. This would result in less switching of classes.

If this seems problematic, it might be better than ignoring the issue and having dozens of students and a few teachers getting the virus, shutting down classes as dozens are sent home, and having angry parents after one of their relatives gets hospitalized (or worse) from the virus. If your state or county has high COVID-19 numbers, I hope your school does the right thing to protect your students and staff.

mrsf70 and Caesar753 like this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 7, 2020

Isn't there a Mayor in Georgia suing their governor because of the mask mandate? Does anyone know if this is the mayor of the area where the video was taken>?

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

I'm feeling better, despite our infection rate being crazy high. We're using the hybrid model, so only half our students each day. An additional 46% of students chose remote learning, so we'll only have less than a third of our students in class each day.

Combined with the efforts our admin has made to: provide additional PPE, provide sneeze guards, mandate masks all day, adjust schedules, hire additional employees, and even give teachers duty-free lunch, I'm feeling much more OK going back in person.

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

I'm wondering if there won't be backlash.

It may be against the rules, but I doubt it was ever thoroughly enforced before.

18. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Aug 7, 2020

I think it's a good example of when to cognizantly do the wrong thing to speak up.

bella84, Backroads and Caesar753 like this.
  19. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Aug 8, 2020

My state is currently in an upwards trajectory, with the county I work in at 10.7% postivity rate. It's going to get ugly. Students are required to wear masks, but it's going to be a battle.

We were told we would have 5 gallon buckets of sanitizing wipes in each classroom, which we have yet to see, and we have students Monday. The hand sanitizer we were given is ridiulously small (6oz or so), but we are told they will be refilled each evening. I doubt that because we are short custodial staff who are behind on cleaning anyway.
    [​IMG]

Tired Teacher likes this.
  20. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 8, 2020

So I've been following this county with morbid curiosity since this hit national media. Here is a member of their school board saying that they can avoid either infecting kids or having to contact trace kids if they just move them around the room every 14 minutes instead of the 15 minutes that is required to notify for contact tracing:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1292220720777494531
    (I'm not sure how to link the exact tweet)

Also a video from that same school board meeting where the person called the CDC guidelines "crap" and said it wasn't law:

Oh and they reported 9 new covid cases 6 students and 3 adults today.

21. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 8, 2020

So the governor passed a law saying the mayors couldn't pass laws stricter than his about covid. Governor doesn't want a mask mandate so now the mayors cant request it. Atlanta Mayor got covid, decided it was a good idea to mandate masks, and then governor sued her. No judge would hear the case, so I'm not exactly sure what the outcome was. Last I heard they were in mediation.

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2020

I was just looking for this thread to say this! I wonder if this will make them change their policy about masks or if they're just going to carry on...

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2020

The one girl said it was "Good trouble." I believe that the school district has now rescinded the suspension, and that it will not show up on her school record.

bella84, mrsf70 and Caesar753 like this.
  24. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 9, 2020

That student gave a very impressive interview on CNN. I wouldn't have been as collected and articulate as she was when I was 15. The school changed their ruling the next day.

CaliforniaRPCV and mrsf70 like this.
  25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 10, 2020

Ahh I see. These people have nothing better to do than sue each other over things that other people are considering common sense.

Pisces likes this.
  26. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Aug 11, 2020

Welcome to the south. I've only lived in GA for a couple of years but I still feel like a lost yankee in dixieland. I don't understand why the governor is suing the mayor of Atlanta but they have a contentious working relationship and everything is all about politics and partisanship today.

27. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Aug 11, 2020

Shortly after this video was released, a very respected and excellent teacher I know in Fulton County asked to be released from his contract. He was granted it by the district. He and his partner are at high risk and I know it was a very difficult decision for him.

28. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2020

Yeah, I get it. A group of teachers here were told that they should probably bring Clorox wipes and wash the desks during their lunch time at 1 school. My guess is someone called the union b/c that direction changed. I am soooo thankful people on here encouraged me to retire after last yr! :)

mrsf70 likes this.