What skills should I include on my resume?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Oct 28, 2019.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2019

I currently have these listed:

Leadership

Collaboration

Organization

Classroom management

Time management

Interpersonal skills

Are these okay to list on my resume, or is it assumed that a teacher would have these skills?

I want to include I am saavy at using Google Drive. Should I also include that (I'm not sure if that is a skill, per se)?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 28, 2019

I think all those skills are sort of a given, but only you can decide.

As to the part about Google Drive, I guess, again, I just sort of thought most teachers know that, but I some may disagree.

bella84 likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 28, 2019

I agree that most of those skills are assumed. I don't think you should include them. Instead, I would include specific programs or teaching methods that you're familiar with. With Google Drive, you could name specific ways you have used it, but I also think that it's assumed that you'll be familiar with it - or at least able to quickly figure it out.

These days, I don't think a list of skills is really necessary or helpful on a resume. I think it's more beneficial to state specific examples that lead to the hiring team inferring that you have those skills.

Backroads and RainStorm like this.
  5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2019

What about special training and plcs? I underwent a 2-year PLC on formative assessment, as well as a 2-year training under Marzano. I also did a week-long reading workshop in New York with Calkins and her crew. Should I mention those?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 30, 2019

Yes, I would put those on a resume, for sure.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 1, 2019

I would not use those skills, I think it's obvious teachers have that.
    I would list trainings or skills that not every teacher has, such as
    - proficient in using Google Classroom
    - attended Kagan training, PBIS training, etc.

bella84 likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 1, 2019

If you have experience differentiating instruction, are well versed in stimulating HOTS, the higher order thinking skills, have utilized PBL and investigative learning, incorporated digital skills into student instruction for them to use, incorporated real life skills into lessons, routinely incorporated cooperative learning in the classroom, and utilized the most current standards for your subject matter, share this in your resume. For me, that would mean incorporating the standards of the NGSS - I am sure there are other standards that I am not familiar with. Please add any skills that you have that make you a good fit working with ELL's, as that is something that many districts want to know.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

Those are, generally, too general.

From what I understand, the current trend is putting your accomplishments: What have you done as a teacher that is truly impressive? It doesn't mean Teacher of the Year level stuff, necessarily, just examples of what you have done that really did the trick.

10. Nelson Franklin

Nelson Franklin New Member

Nov 1, 2019

Skills can be assumed as pr your experience and knowledge. I think you know better yourself.

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

To go further with what I said above, give examples of how you use these well.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 3, 2019

Keep in mind, I haven't been job searching in many yrs, but I think adding a place for your strengths is appropriate. Maybe even add what computer skills you have that will be useful at school. It gives you big points where I am at if you are savvy and able to help others w/ different computer skills. It depends on the age group of teachers you will be working with.....Accomplishments is a must.
    I have been on the hiring committees a lot over the years. The trainings and experiences are equally important. I think sometimes P's like to see current "buzz words" on apps. You need to be prepared to explain how you use them because P's like that want people who know their stuff and will agree w/ current trends in that district. Most people will tell applicants to avoid buzz words, but I have seen people picked from the pool because their buzz words fit right into what the P wants. Good luck! :)

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

Completely agree with using buzz words. That matters in education.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 3, 2019

Just a suggestion that I've made before when talking about resumes. If you don't work on them often, and if it is imperative that it be strong and professional, truly showcasing your abilities to potential employers, I invariably suggest having your resume written by someone who really knows what employers are looking for, using the buzz words and terminology that resonates with admin. I know that I can slightly reconfigure my resume to meet certain expectations for certain jobs, but I'm going to tell you that I pay an online resume writing service to rewrite my resume whenever I add new certifications, add a new degree, or add significant skills through training/use. I am just going to say that I use Resumewriters.com and hope that doesn't cross any lines. They have rewritten my resume 3 times, and I have given my son his resume and a subsequent rewrite as gifts after we finished our MEd. in ESL. The first draft of my son's first resume wasn't what I was looking for, and I suggested that he have revisions done. Even with the revisions, it was lacking. At that point, I requested a different writer, someone more in tune to the language and needs of education. He was assigned the same person who has written all of my resumes, and it was wonderful, and effective. He went from no job offers to multiple interviews and offers. Same education and experience, but it was finally well written on the page.

Should you go that route, make sure that your writer is truly savvy about education as an industry, able to use the buzz words in the correct context. That is what makes one resume writer better than another IMHO. Don't be afraid to critique the work - they are there to create something you are thrilled with that is vibrant and truly "you". I choose to write my own cover letters, to personalize them and connect them to goals and needs of the district. I trust my instincts in those letters, but I don't trust myself to capture all the nuance that a great resume can express.

For the records, I pay the business listed above, receive no discount or any consideration for telling others that I am client of their business. I only list them by name because invariably I receive questions about who I, personally, use.

Do let me add that if you are a new graduate, most of these companies will write your resume at a discounted rate, hoping that you will tend to stay with them over the years. It makes that first formal resume affordable, or a great gift from someone who wants to give a gift that keeps on giving. Trust me when I say that the reduced cost should not equal reduced value. I've always been asking for all the bells and whistles in the writing, no matter what I pay. I also encourage you to ask questions about what if the first writer doesn't get it quite right, even in a rewrite. Make sure that your ultimate satisfaction is their true goal.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 3, 2019

I have to add this -- only use "buzzwords" if you truly know what they mean, and use the practice regularly. Nothing is more annoying to a person on an interview committee then finding out that the person they chose for the interview uses all the "right" words, but has no experience or concept of the actual practice.

Every one likes to say they are a "team player." Give specific examples if that is a quality you want to claim. If you say you use "phonemic awareness" in your instruction, you better be able to describe the difference between phonemic awareness and phonics. I could go on, but I think you get what I'm saying.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 3, 2019

So true!

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 3, 2019

I'm showing my age here, but I remember being on a hiring committee, and the applicant claimed on her resume to be experienced in using "multiple intelligences" in her teaching. That was a huge "buzzword" back then.

Imagine our amazement when we asked her which of Gardner's modalities was she most comfortable with. She asked us who was Gardner.

Okay, maybe she was just nervous? We moved on.

We asked her to give us an example of a way she would teach using kinesthetic learning. She looked confused. We repeated the question, but she gave a very vague answer about how she liked to teach lots of different ways. We asked for examples of this, and again, she was very vague and didn't really answer our question. Hmmm.

Later in the interview, she said she liked to teach using lots of movement. I had to keep from audibly choking.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Backroads and vickilyn like this.
  18. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 3, 2019

Rain, thank you for a great belly laugh! I count that as a true blessing and gift. If your post doesn't illustrate the facts and fallacies of buzzwords for buzzwords' sake, I don't know what would. Again, a laugh that felt really good - greatly appreciated! :rofl: