What size is your carpet for meeting time???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Youngteacher226, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2006

I am having a hard time finding a carpet that would fit all 25 of my 2nd graders, plus a carpet that is affordable. When I went out to buy one, I realized that I don't even know the measurements that I need. (I haven't had a chance to work in my room yet). I go on Monday. Can anyone help me with the right size that I may need. I already bought a 6X9, but I know that is probably only big enough for the reading area. PLEASE HELP ME!!!:(

3. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

I think mine is 12X10. I have had 23+ third graders on there and furniture. I don't know if that is a normal sized rug that you can buy in stores...it came with my room.

What about seeing if a carpet store will donate carpet squares?

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2006

9x12 is most likely the size that would work for you. Your second graders would fit but there wouldn't be much room left over. We just ordered ours through Lakeshore, but they are expensive ($399).

I've read on here somewhere about taping carpet squares together (duct tape on the bottom) to make a "rug." I was going to do that if we didn't get the funds together for the rug we ordered.

Or you could buy two 6x9's and tape them together or just lay them side by side. You can get those for ~$20.

You could also look at remnants at a carpet store. That's how we used to get our dorm rugs each year. You could just tape along the edges to keep it from fraying.

5. Youngteacher226

Aug 24, 2006

You know what, laying two 6X9's together would probably be the best idea for me. I know that Big Lots has them on sale for $15. By me being a first year teacher, I really have used up ALL of my funds for right now on all of the neccessities. So thanks for that tip. I might have to consider that.:)

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2006

Those nice big carpets are so expensive. I have a small group and get by with a small one.Once in awhile you can find a clearance oval shaped carpet at Wal Mart(if you can stand to go there.) They run about $70.00...I could kick myself for not buying the one half price this summer...they are pretty big!

7. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

Here's a good site for rugs. If you search around, you will find Second's on carpets that are $99 and they offer free shipping. I would love to get one but I can't afford that much. I got a 6 x 8 at Home Depot for $20.

http://www.sensoryedge.com

8. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 24, 2006

9. Youngteacher226

Aug 29, 2006

Well, I haven't had any luck purchasing an affordable rug for my meeting area. So, I asked a few carpet stores in my area if they had scrap carpet and they gave me some carpet squares or samples. Needless to say, I've never seen 2nd graders use the squares, I've always seen teachers use the full size carpet. Does anyone have any experience with the carpet samples (squares) and if so, were they workable???? I can see my 2nd graders now complaining about not being able to stay of the square. Or I can see a holding up our group time with waiting for everyone to get a square, fighting over their fav. color square etc. etc. etc. (You know the story). Please help.:confused:
    Should I trash them??? At this point, I have no choice.:(

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 29, 2006

I bought large, floor rugs for my Pre-K class at Home Depot. They are durable and clean-up well.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 29, 2006

"You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." That came from someone on here, and i LOVE it. Good policy for your carpet squares. If picking their favorite is a big issue, maybe that's one of your rewards they can earn. ;) One group of students gets to choose "their" square, and the rest get to pick from what's left. OR... if you can't sit on it, you lose it and have to sit on the lain floor. ;) I'm mean. ;)

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2006

Make a basket of numbers. Each day, have the children choose a number out of the basket. They each take their turn getting a square ... and they cannot dig through the pile...they take the top one. Good lesson in cooperation and in Math.

13. Iteachfirst

Iteachfirst Rookie

Aug 29, 2006

foam squares

I got two packages of the foam squares that fit together like a puzzle. They were $18 a package at Sams. For $36 I have a large enough area for 25 students.

You can view them on this site on the pictures that several teachers have posted (mine included).

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2006

I have a 6x9 carpet and here's what I do with my kiddos. I have 18-20 sit on the carpet in assigned spots. The group of desks nearest to the carpet are the students who sit at their desks, with their chair facing the carpet area. I change my seating arrangement about once a month, so those kids will get to be on the carpet the next seating change. It actually works. The kids know that when they're at their desks, they are not playing with anything on or in it. It usually isn't a problem, because the back of their chair is against their desk.

Oh, I bought my carpet at Wal-Mart for $20. The school is going to buy us each one for our classroom (don't know when), and I'll have 2 carpets then. I'll put them it in a different area.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 29, 2006

I forgot to mention: I change my arrangement for several reasons. It gives students to work with other students, the carpet issue, and usually after a month the kids get really chatty.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2006

When I first started, I had two old smaller rugs that I placed next to each other...it worked really well......I would keep an eye out for one....ask around, mabye a parent is looking to get rid of one.

As for the squares.....I have heard of teachers using them on desk tops when the kiddies work w manipulatives ....it keeps them quite!!

17. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Aug 30, 2006

I use carpet squares this year... my old carpet was gross. :eek: My squares were donated by a local carpet dealer. After only 2 weeks some of the squares are coming unraveled. I call a table at a time to come over to the carpet area. They get the top square and go to their assigned spot. I don't allow them to pick through the pile. It helps that all of mine are various shades of tan. We leave them out all day. At the end of the day, a group stacks them up so the floor can be swept. If I had the money I would use a large carpet, but this is better than the students sitting on the floor.