What should you know about a school district before interviewing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gemgirlxoxo, Mar 29, 2012.

1. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

I know that you should do your research on a school district before interviewing, but what exactly should you know? I am interviewing for an out of state school district so all I could do is look on their district website but I don't know what exactly I should be looking for?

I have heard that you should know their mission statement, but I don't even see one on the district website, unless each school has their own I'm not sure though. It is a very large district so I can't look through each individual school's mission statement. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2012

It's nice to know demographics of the student body, testing results, programs used to deliver instruction...my school is a 'workshop approach' kind of school...candidates who interview and seem philosophically tied to packaged programs don't come off as a 'fit'.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

Agree with czacza. Also, if its for a particular school, its good to check out what they have listed as different special events and activities that are special to the school (my school has "pawsitive panthers")...and checking out curriculum guides that are online is nice too.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 30, 2012

My biggest suggestion is to come in with a list of questions you have about the school. Apparently, that was one of the things that put me over the top when I applied for my current position. Be specific, such as asking about the school's policies on learning and discipline.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2012

Definitely look at a few of the school's webpages. Maybe you will find that they all have the same mission statement. Also, to find some information, you might check a few teacher webpages. Sometimes they post more than the school does.

7. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Mar 31, 2012

Do you have a list of questions that you asked.

8. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Apr 1, 2012

This was very helpful. Thank you everyone.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 2, 2012

Do you have an interview coming up soon? Keep us in the loop!

10. gemgirlxoxo

gemgirlxoxo Rookie

Apr 4, 2012

I had an interview which I think went pretty good, I hope so anyway. Just wish I wouldn't get so nervous because I feel like I could've answered some of the questions better but my nerves get in the way.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2012

They ARE nerve-wracking! I try to approach job interviews like I'm also interviewing them. Is this the right fit for me personally and professionally? That's why I try to come in with my own set of questions. If I don't like the answers, I'm not so worried if I don't get a second interview. It wasn't the right school for me.

12. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 5, 2012

Wow, this info will be very helpful to me when I interview for schools. I think it's so important to ask informed questions. Although at my last job interview (non-school), the interviewer would barely let me get a word in or share an idea before moving onto the next thing. I think he was in a hurry...

13. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Apr 5, 2012

Try to see if you can talk or meet some of the staff in your department.

These the responses I got:
    1)Oh, you want to work here? Oh, get ready. Things can get crazy.
    2) Oh, you might work here? I'm excited! I hope you get it! I love our department.

The faculty responses can usually tell you what to expect later.