What should the consequence be for a student who threw a pencil at a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 10, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 10, 2019

This happened to me today. Admin pulled each group of kids out of my room and only one person told on the kid. I figured out who it was and emailed admin. What do you think the consequence should be?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 10, 2019

No pencils? Only small broken crayon?

Backroads likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 10, 2019

Haha. I mean more the consequence for throwing something at a teacher.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 10, 2019

I would use my best teacher mean face and voice in get right in the student's face. Then I would call home.

6. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 10, 2019

3 days at "da crib".

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 10, 2019

Really?

8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 10, 2019

Too harsh?

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 10, 2019

At my school, they gave one day suspensions for students who punched other students.

There is a suspension hearing for a student who spilled water on a teacher’s chair on purpose...I think.

10. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 10, 2019

That's one day more than they'd get here. Smh

11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

May 10, 2019

Throwing a pencil - essentially a pointed dart - is different than, say, a paper wad. This type of thing may seem like "kids being kids" or not that big a deal until you are the teacher-principal-school-district at the receiving end of an irate parent whose child comes home with a damaged eye due to a student throwing a pencil across the room - "But I didn't mean it! I was just kidding!" - and the worst thing that happened was a lecture from the principal. That's what happened at a school in my district.

In my district the Student Handbook reads: "A teacher may suspend a student for the remainder of the school day and day following for the following reason(s): (1) "Caused or threaten to cause physical injury to another person". (2) "Disrupted or attempted to disrupt the learning environment". This means a teacher may suspend a student on the spot or choose to send the student to the office for principal's action. The student may not return to class or be reassigned to another class or program. Only the principal may suspend a student off campus.

MrTempest likes this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 10, 2019

I just hope I wasn’t overreacting calling admin. I asked the kids who threw it and no one answered. The VP came and asked each kid individually and then gave the whole class a lunch detention if no one came forward. I only know because my teacher friend overheard kids talking about it and who the kid was.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 10, 2019

At my school, throwing something at a teacher would result in a 3-day suspension, assignment of Saturday School, and zeros would be entered in the grade book for all days missed for all classes. Plus, if the attack resulted in injury to the teacher, then loss of privileges up to expulsion and litigation is on the table.

That’s how you do it! Take that public schools! :p

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    MrTempest likes this.
  14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 10, 2019

It happened at a private school where I use to teach. The student received a 10 day suspension. Some of that had to do with that it hit the teacher.

MrTempest and futuremathsprof like this.
  15. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

May 11, 2019

At my school, this would just be an in-class consequence.

MrTempest and txmomteacher2 like this.
  16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 11, 2019

10 days??? Wow. I will be surprised if this student even gets a 1 day suspension.

I am going to follow up with admin on this one. But in my class, I am planning on telling him that I’ve lost my trust in him and he can no longer keep his backpack or other materials with him in my class anymore. In addition, I can’t trust him with a pencil anymore, so he has to use a crayon.

MrTempest likes this.
  17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 11, 2019

Same here. Admin would be annoyed with me if I tried to get them to deal with this.

18. JimG

JimG Comrade

May 11, 2019

I would caution against the crayon stipulation proposed in a couple posts. That seems petty, to me. Let the kid face his consequence, move his seat to where you can better keep an eye on him, and move on.

19. futuremathsprof

May 11, 2019

Sounds like dereliction of duties to me. Case in point, I recently had an incident at my school and I emailed the principal about it and he literally stopped what he was doing to immediately investigate and he got both the students and parents of all parties involved. In fact, his investigation was so thorough that he made a conclusion that day. Seems like we need more of that in schools these days and less of “I can’t be bothered and you teachers handled it.”

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 11, 2019

With most admin that I’ve had, I would be expected to deal with it in class.

I’ve had admin who would send the kid back to class with candy if I’d sent the kid to the office.

21. futuremathsprof

May 11, 2019

Sounds like you’ve had your fair share of pretty worthless administrators.

As a new administrator, I have certain disciplinary powers and I plan to very much use said powers to set students straight.

nstructor likes this.
  22. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 11, 2019

Wow...I would not want to work in a school where a student throwing something at a teacher was not addressed by admin.

MrTempest and futuremathsprof like this.
  23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 11, 2019

Ha, my admin would say: "Have lunch with the kid! Build a relationship!"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MrTempest likes this.
  24. futuremathsprof

May 11, 2019

Your admin must have an aversion to hard work.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 11, 2019

My current admin would take care of it, but we are in luck this year. Our admin has a spine. I’ve had good admin before, but recent jellyfish admin have left a bad taste in my mouth.

26. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 12, 2019

Or move him out of range;)

27. futuremathsprof

May 12, 2019

Or out of class.

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 12, 2019

The one thing that I have learned is that the squeaky wheel who doesn't complain about every minor thing has more of a chance to influence the decision about consequences. This is the teacher who is able to take care of most disturbances on their own, where not everything is an emergency, or life and death. That teacher usually gets attention when they tell admin that while they are OK, this could have gone very wrong if a child had been injured, and that is why it is important to send the message that projectiles are too dangerous to be taken lightly. I have told admin and students that my son is blind in one eye, so I don't take pencil throwing lightly, not for my son, not for anyone else's child.

Sometimes you have to paint the big picture with logically presented facts. Stay focused on how a student could have been injured as opposed to how dare they throw the pencil at me. I find that my words carry more weight this way. Glad you weren't hurt.

29. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 13, 2019

Pencils being thrown would be mild at my school!

It takes A LOT of behavior to get suspended or kicked out of my school. Having said that, we are highly supported by administration. The majority of the students have individualized behavior plans. We have a crisis response team that comes in when things get out of hand, constant communication with parents, and an on-site security person.

Keep in mind, most of the people who work at this school signed up for this (Administration is pretty upfront at interviews), have experience with this population, are highly trained to respond to crisis situations, and believe it or not, thrive in this environment.

30. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 13, 2019

Student received 3 detentions after school. He claimed that he was not trying to hit me with a pencil...

31. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 13, 2019

Are you satisfied with that as a consequence?

32. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 13, 2019

I'm not sure. This is not the first time the student has thrown things in my class.

I asked the group who threw the pencil before admin came in. The student did not even admit to it when admin came in and almost let the entire class have a lunch session because he was lying. It is ridiculous.

Pencils are also sharp. I think it's unacceptable for a 6th grader to be throwing them around the classroom.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  33. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 13, 2019

It's unfortunate that your student did this, especially given that you feel somewhat unsupported by admin.

You can only make the best of it at this point. I'm really sorry.

34. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 13, 2019

It all depends upon how you feel the administration is dealing with discipline as a whole and it you want to "push the envelope," as they say.

I've never done this, but I've had colleagues that have directly called the police immediately after something like you went through with the pencil because the knew the office wouldn't deal with it. It's assault.

Now, one of two things will happen. Either your administration will be embarrassed enough by the arrival of the police at the school and the possibility of an assault charge being filed that they'll actually do their jobs in the future OR they'll let you have this battle for the moment and then start bearing down on you. (If you have a strong union/union rep, you can always have them monitor and document how your administration reacts for what appear to be reprisals - but that's a long-shot anymore......union leadership takes care of union leadership.)

35. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 14, 2019

Very much so.

futuremathsprof likes this.