what should students do when they are done?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2nd grade teach, Dec 29, 2006.

1. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

Each student has a folder in their desk of things for them to work on when they are done. But, I do not have anything very enriching for them to do in there. Do you have any ideas on things that I can have them do when they are done? Any resources that you know of?

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Dec 30, 2006

when my kids are done that is when they are allowed to do their center...one center per kid per day, but they are always allowed to read if they dont like their center...all my centers are quiet, if it is something with noise they have headphones to use with it, so the others still working are not disturbed...if you want a list of my centers let me know

4. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Dec 31, 2006

I would love a list of your center! That would be wonderful! How many centers do you have set up each day? Or, do you always have the centers set up and they can always go there?

Thank you so much for your feedback!

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Dec 31, 2006

When my 2nd graders are done they may:
    draw
    read a book
    work on their number scroll
    write a letter to send through in-school post office
    write a note to put in our "kind words" bin
    do math flash cards
    write
    finish bellwork
    ask me if I need help with anything
    clean their desk
    ask to use the bathroom/get a drink
    put their head down
    work on their handwritng journals or catch up on their math journals

6. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Jan 1, 2007

I struggle with the same issue. I have a "happy face centre" the children go to when they have completed their work. This centre is just a 3 drawer organizer from walmart. I keep blank paper in it, enveloped with crosswords, word searches, colouring sheets, etc. and the last drawer I keep word games, card games, etc. I change the items frequently so I don't have any wanderers.

7. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jan 1, 2007

I used to have a problem with this also. Now, all we do when we are done is read. This has worked out very well because of an incentive program that I use. We try to see how many books we can read each year. Back in the 90s I have a principal who wanted to get the whole school to read 2000 books. I challenged my third grade class to do this themselves. We would read and then do a short book review on each book. We read over 2000 books in about 6 months. Since then, I have continued to modify the program. We have individual reading goals after 25, 50, then every 50 books read. The rewards are things like a pencil for 25 books, a homework pass for 150 books, and something from a special box for 350 or more. There are class incentives, which we vote on. They are things like dodgeball with the other second grade, a pencil for each student, a guest reader, or popcorn. 2000 books is always an ice cream treat. A book that is more than 75 pages counts as 2 books. Any book read at school or at home counts.

Our record is 5333 books. We might make that again this year. We will hit 2000 in the next week or so. I have had one student who read 700 books himself. There is occasionally some cheating but that is handled relatively easily. This program helps improve our reading and writing, makes reading a "habit", and helps the kids set and work towards goals. We do this with the other second grade and have a good-natured competition throughout the year.

The principal who inspired it is now my superintendent.