What Should My Major Be

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nichelle018, Jan 23, 2015.

1. nichelle018

nichelle018 New Member

Jan 23, 2015

I am currently an EarlyChildhood Education student but I have recently entertained the thought of changing my major to Child Development, because I'm not sure if I want to teach my whole life and I would like other career opportunities. Regardless of what I decide to major in I'm sure I'm going to go back to school and get my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction with a concentration in EarlyChildhood. My question would be if I change my major to Child Development can I get a teaching license to teach until I get my Master's degree? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 24, 2015

This would all depend on your state - most likely, you would have to go back and get an ECE MAT, if offered. If you want to teach Early Childhood, you could continue on your degree path, then get a Master's in something that is more suited to how you want your career to end up? There's more you can do with a degree in Early Childhood Education than Child Development.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 24, 2015

Make an appointment to talk to your advisor. He/she would know more about your school's and state requirements.