what should I wear?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pencil Monkey, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

I responded to an ad a few weeks ago to be a curriculum writer and director for a school that won't be opening until 2011. There isn't a physical location yet. So far, I've done two phone interviews. Today I was requested to do a luncheon with the board members. I'm excited but still feeling pretty cautious. Since I have never even heard of some of these folks and never met them. Apparently they have ties to the NY board of education. Anyway, I have no idea what to wear. Do I wear a suit? Or should I wear a dress?

DH seems to think I should wear something fashionable but business like. I have no idea what that looks like. I'm a jeans and t shirt kind of girl.

:help:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2010

If they're from NY, I would suggest a suit. It's pretty much the standard inteview outfit around here.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2010

I agree with Alice, as usual :D

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2010

Definitely a suit, but add an item such as a silk scarf or brooch for extra personality.

When is the luncheon?

6. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 27, 2010

I agree... dress to impress. Better to be slightly over-dressed than to be under-dressed especially when trying to get "in" to a new position. Good luck!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

..especially since the job of Director is one of authority. You most definitely want to look the part.

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

Dress to impress, I would definitely be business like.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

Well, it depends on where the luncheon is, and when. Around here there's a certain dress code for spring and summer luncheons. Colors that are usually associated with "business" attire would be considered frumpy and unfashionable. A better choice around here would be a springy or summery skirt (probably a light floral pattern) with a shell and a lighter-colored short-sleeved structured jacket with open-toed heels of some sort, or even just a nice dress and heels. Older ladies usually wear dressy capris with a matching blouse and jacket. Ladies don't typically wear businessy suits to luncheons, and when they do, the little old ladies say, "Bless her heart, she didn't have anything to wear."

But again, all of that is more specific to this area and the strange culture here. (For more info about how we do things here, watch Steel Magnolias. Things haven't changed much since that was written...)

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

This lady looks exactly like what I think of when I think "luncheon."

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...ND=20&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50443|51283

Except I would add a strand of pearls.

I would maybe do something like this if I didn't feel like wearing hose:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...ND=15&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50443|51282

I would also wear this dress with a pink cardigan or little jacket.

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...ND=18&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50444|59150

So, dressy, but less businessy, is how people usually dress for luncheons, even when meeting with business partners.

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

It's a business lunch. I would wear a suit.

12. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 28, 2010

I agree. To be on the safe side, it's always better to dress more formal than casual.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2010

I guess my issue is with the word "luncheon." In this area, that indicates an event that is more social than business. It may be used for networking, contacts, etc., but the primary function (and dress) would be dressy, but not businessy. More "churchy," though many women have a whole section of the wardrobe for afternoon social events and meetings. A "lunch" meeting would require business attire. Of course, "brunch" and "tea" would require even different clothes.

What was the exact wording they used in the invitation? Was it a written or verbal invitation? Where is the event?

14. mistah

mistah Rookie

Mar 28, 2010

i think we have an undercover jc pennys rep on our hands.....lol...those were actually great visuals.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 29, 2010

I just have a Penny's card, so I shop there a lot. I had been a a big sale there last weekend, and noticed they had a bunch of summer separates and sun dresses.