what should i wear to set up classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Momma5, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

School is open the week before class starts. The principal will be there too. Wear jeans I'm assuming or go dressed up.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 26, 2012

The 1st day I wore jeans and a nice thick workout t shirt. The rest of the week I wore sweats and a T Shirt after I saw it was casual.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

Wear whatever is comfortable. When I'm setting up my room, I'm up on ladders, hauling furniture around the school, using power tools, making runs to the dumpster, and often working up a sweat.

And if any parents happen to come by and see that, so be it.

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

The few days that I have gone in so far, I wore my typical summer clothes. Jean shorts or capris, tank tops or t-shirts. I wouldn't dress up, since you are likely to get dirty and will be moving things around. Wear comfortable clothes. They understand -- just don't look like a slob and you are good. :)

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

What everyone else has said.

7. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 26, 2012

I would say what everyone else has said, but still appropriate. No holes in the butt of your pants or super low tops (my tank tops move too much). There is a small chance you could be introduced to a registering student so you'll want to be at leased covered.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

This is what I wore as well.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

I agree. I try not to look like a huge mess, but I also wear things I don't care if I ruin. Jeans and a Relay for Life T-Shirt is what I wore when I was moving furniture. Once I was just to the bulletin board stage, I wore jeans and a nice top (which is my go-to attire).

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I would be dressed in decent looking Bermuda shorts and a T.

Not quite grungy-cleaning-out-the-garage clothes, but something comfortable enough to allow lots of bending and lifting. Something that wouldn't leave me embarassed if I met members of the staff, administration, or a parent.

Lots of you guys would wear jeans! Not me, not in August!

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

I do most of my classroom setting up at times when the school office isn't open, so I'll wear comfy shorts (like sweats, but not super short or tight) and a t-shirt. If I know other people will be around, I'll probably wear jean shorts.

12. live

live Companion

Aug 26, 2012

It depends on your school environment. Where I student taught, most teachers wore jeans or capris and a decent t-shirt to set up. If your daily work attire will business casual, then something along those lines is fine.

I'd get looked at funny if I was EVER dressed like that at my current school, but I teach at a place where the teacher dress code is almost as strict as the students'. As long as that's not what it's like at your school, then you'll be fine in comfier attire.

13. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

This is my first year there and its a Catholic school, so for every day teaching, I will be wearing business casual, unless I'm told I can wear otherwise. Maybe I will wear a blouse and nice jeans, but bring other pants just in case, but I doubt the principal is going to make an issue of me wearing jeans...

14. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 26, 2012

Oh wow. I'm shocked at the responses. We are expected to dress like we would for teaching. No jeans. We have to dress up.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 26, 2012

Teresateaches, are you on contract days for set up? I can see professional dress if it is a contract day, but in my district, teachers go in unpaid on non contract days to set up. Jeans and shorts are perfectly acceptable on those days.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

I go in on contract days to set up, and some people literally wear PJs at my school. I DON'T. I went in and did the furniture moving and stuff before my contract days began. I wore a T-shirt and jeans then. Once my contract days started, I was cutting, laminating, putting up BBs, planning, etc... I wore jeans and a nice top then. However, as I said, many (most) teachers were in work out clothes or PJs.

17. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

I wore bermuda shorts or capris and a t-shirt unless I was doing heavy duty setting up, like moving desks around and cleaning out closets. When I did that, I wore clothes that I didn't mind if I got dirty in. I mean, they weren't stained or anything, but they were my "play clothes". :p

Beth

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

When I've gone in, I've worn Bermuda shorts and tee or capris and tee.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

We aren't given contracted hours to set up our rooms, so I go in on my own time. I wear my casual summer clothes, but nothing too grungy in case the super or a parent comes in. Setting up the room is a lot of work and I always leave dusty!

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2012

The first day I always wear knit capri pants, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. That's the "get dirty" day when I'm moving furniture, dragging stuff out of closets, and cleaning.

Every day after that I'll wear bermuda shorts or jeans shorts with a casual shirt and sandals.

With that said, these area all non-contract days. We don't have any built in days to get rooms ready. It's on our own time, so about 3/4 of us go in a few days before school starts. Once contract days start, no shorts, jeans, or t-shirts.

21. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 26, 2012

Ah...ours are the contracted week before school starts. I misunderstood. If you go in the weeks before, jeans are fine. I was there last week because I am new to the district, but even in my old district, when I went in during the noncontrcted time, I was normally alone. Teachers around here rarely spend any time at school outside of their contract. I hated having to fight for resources that first week back and always went early to set up.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 26, 2012

I always wear gym/workout clothes when I'm setting up my classroom. Like Sarge--I, too, work up a sweat and want to be as comfy as possible!

Once school starts, though, I'm back to slacks, dress shirt, and tie.

23. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

I wear shorts and a tank. I am organizing, not standing in front of a group of people. The goal is comfort.

24. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

always something comfy - shorts and tee shirt

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I agree with others. If it's not contract time, comfort is key. I usually wear yoga pants/capris and a t-shirt.

26. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

Last week I had to attend new teacher meetings and go to the classroom to setup right after. I felt like I couldn't get too much moving done because I was worried my clothes would get messed up!

Tomorrow I'll be going in wearing dark jeans and a tshirt. They look fairly put together which I kinda need because I've been meeting parents or being called to the office to translate for families.