What should I wear?? HOT weather!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lindsey923, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

I have never had a professional interview in such HOT weather.. tomorrow is supposed to be around 100 degrees. I was planning on wearing black slacks, a plum tank top (high cut, can't tell it's a tank under my jacket), and a 3/4 sleeve black suit jacket with black heels. I KNOW that I am going to be so sweaty with the combination of nerves and heat.. I feel that I look out of place/dumb dressed so "warmly" on such a hot day. Would you still wear a professional suit?? I have no pencil skirts.

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

I just had an interview today and it was around 95 outside. I wore an outfit similar to yours, and yes, I felt silly. But the girl who interviewed before me was in a pants and jacket combo, and so was the girl interviewing after me. My advice would be to blast the AC in your car beforehand, and pray that your interview site has AC too! I don't think you should skimp on professional dress just because it's hot.

4. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

Thank you! I just don't want to be the only one who looks silly!

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 8, 2011

I wonder the same thing. It's starting to get really hot here and I don't want to sweat in a full on suit and look/smell terrible... We're nervous enough!

I think I would wear the suit jacket/blazer in and then possibly take it off during the interview if hot.

6. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

When I was in Mississippi filling out paperwork for my new job I worried about the same thing. Everyone in the office was dressed like I was. The A/C was running and it was actually somewhat chilly in the office. So don't run out and buy something professional but more summery (is that a word?) I think you will be just fine.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

I have actually never worn a suit to a teaching interview.

I have worn professional attire...to my very first interview right after college, it was a short-sleeved blue dress that was tailored. I got the job. I can't believe I remember that like it was yesterday--it was in 1990!

After my M.S. when I was again job-searching, I wore a twin set with pearls and black pants. I got the job. BTW, these were both high-paying, competitive districts.

I don't think you have to wear something ridiculously hot.

I am planning to wear a black and white print rayon skirt, dressy, low-heeled sandals, and a dressy crepe top to my next interview if it is hot outside, which it no doubt will be.

I would wear what a teacher would wear on her dressiest day. You're not interviewing on Wall Street (thank heavens!)

I remember I served on a hiring committee one summer and our principal wore a polo shirt, it was so hot. A male candidate walked in in a suit and tie, and our prin. said, "Please feel free to take off your jacket and relax...it's too hot outside!"

I know you don't want to go too casual, but you can look nice and professional and still be appropriate for the weather.

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

I agree with Rainbowbird. I was under the impression that lindsey didn't have another outfit to wear. Maybe that's because most of my clothes are very casual. For the last 3 years I have been able to wear jeans everyday! I really only had one professional outfit to wear!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

BLAST the AC in the car, carry the jacket in, and put it on when you get inside. The odds are very good that the office will be air conditioned.

And don't be afraid to have some gentle fun at the interview with the idea that you weren't expecting temps in the 90's when you bought your interview outfit.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I realize that most schools are NOT like mine, but on any given day you can probably find 20-30% of our female facutly in a suit, and more than half the guys.

11. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

My interview last year was August in TX. HOT. I basically carried my suit jacket. I felt like I gave the impression of a suit but didn't have to wear the jacket!

12. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jun 8, 2011

Even thou it has been 100+ here I still wear my 3/4 sleeve suit. In the car I just don't have my jacket on, and I usually have on slippers until I pull up to my interview site. Even thou it is summer, and the staff is dressing down, I still like to look very professional in my suit. :lol: It is not that dressy anyway.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2011

Sounds like you're going to look really classy & professional. Stay with it. :)

14. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Jun 9, 2011

I had an interview Tues and it is that hot here too. I just cranked the air ---which thankfully the side it works on is the driver side---didn't wear my jacket until I got to the school. We have been in the mid 90's and high humidity for the past two weeks. So I would say the same thing just take it with you and put it on at last minute

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

How did it go today??

16. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

I have worn a skirt suit to every job fair and interview I have attended even though the temperature is in the high 90s. I just put on my jacket right before going inside. I feel like being dressed professionally shows that you take pride in your job as a professional. I don't think that you could ever be too dressy for an interview.

17. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 10, 2011

I bought a skirt when I picked out my interview suit because I have a hard time with pants and didn't want to have to hem them.

18. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I definitely think a suit is critical in an interview. It truly sets you apart. There were so many people at a job fair I went to recently that were dressed like a teacher would dress on a daily basis, and it just seemed like they didn't care as much about getting a job. Since so many people think less dressy is okay, think of what the professional superintendents and principals will think of you if you went the extra mile to put on a suit and look your best.

So, I think your suit sounds great, no matter how hot it is! ;)

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 11, 2011

I've taken interviews in the summer before. I wear a nice, cool blouse & skirt. Hey, they (the interviewers) should understand that it's hot out there! :dizzy:

20. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

I agree. Maybe it is b/c I teach elem. school...but the thought of a kindergarten teacher, for example, interviewing in a suit in July--seems ridiculous.

I'm not talking about wearing khakis or a sundress, but dressy, formal, nice businesslike clothes...doesn't have to be a suit.

And as I mentioned, I got hired for all of my jobs without wearing one.