What should I wear for teaching?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by modgirl, Aug 27, 2007.

1. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Hi,

I'm worrying a little about first impressions. I'm fairly young, 24, and this will be my first year teaching with my own classroom. I want to look professional, but not stuffy, I would definitely like to still be stylish. I was wondering what seems appropriate for teaching kinders? I want to wear jeans, but on the first day I was thinking about wearing a skirt and blouse to look professional and responsible to the parents?

any ideas?

Thanks,

Jenny

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2007

I think that's a good idea. (Then again, I teach HS.) A long skirt and blouse with flats will probably be comfortable and make the right impression.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 27, 2007

We are not allowed to wear jeans at our school.
    I wear nice pants (black, kaki etc.) and sweaters or nice shirts. When it is warm out I wear skorts, gauchos, and skirts.
    I always wear flats.

5. devama

devama Companion

Aug 27, 2007

Yeah, we are also not allowed to wear jeans. I am surprised you are allowed!

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

we are allowed to wear jeans too but i would definitely not wear jeans on the first day. meeting parents with the right impression is definitely a must. i look very young too but you always want to look like you belong in a classroom and you can stick out from the college students in and out of the building and or older students.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 27, 2007

We are allowed to wear jeans on Friday's but I will probably wait a few weeks to do start.
    For the 1st few days of school I wear skirts and nice tops.

8. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 27, 2007

It was my first day today (first day w/ the kids, first day ever!) and I wore a blue shirtdress and wedges that were comfortable until I wore them teaching kinder for a full day.

Tomorrow I'll be wearing khakis, a cute top with a camisole underneath, and either Chuck Taylors or ballet flats.

I realize this is kind of a TMI post (um, who needs to know every outfit I have ever worn teaching!), but I am young too and like to look stylish and feel like I have found a balance that works. Basically I try to be comfy but cute without any cleavage showing. Excessive jewelry gets in the way, heels get in the way, and any type of pants or top I have to tug on to make sure I'm 100% covered gets in the way. ;-)

9. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 27, 2007

Right now when it's warmer I wear alot of gauchos, nice capris, and knee length skirts. Usually its flats for me, but since I had foot surgery this summer, I am wearing tennis shoes, (nice ones). At first I worried about that, but my foot health (?) is much more important to me!

10. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I guess I sounded like I wanted to wear jeans on the first day. I want to eventually wear jeans with a nicer top later on in the year, but on the first day I definitely want to look professional but also be comfortable. I wouldn't wear jeans on the first day. I was thinking perhaps wearing a bit of color might be more inviting for the kids.

11. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 27, 2007

They do love the color!

12. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

I am also 24 and I stay pretty casual. I wear comfortable tops, button up shirts sometimes, not always dressy and usually khakis or black pants. On Friday we can wear jeans and I wear a school t-shirt. I wear sandals or tennis shoes. I stay kinda casual, I mean I do teach K kids and am up down everywhere. I dont feel I can do my best chasing them in skirts and dresses.

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2007

I LOVE jeans and they are "strongly suggested that we don't wear" them. So, even tho some teachers will, I think it might look more professional if we dont. Maybe when it gets cold in the winter courduroy pants would be comfy. And long denim skirts are great!

14. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

Khakis are a staple in my Kindergarten wardrobe. I wore Khaki skirts a lot in the upper grades but they aren't as practical in Kindergarten. I am in the floor a lot. It has been really hot here so I have worn the skort things that look like a skirt front and back but have shorts underneath. I also like cords for cooler weather.

15. scooby

scooby Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

dont they have pants that look like jeans but a different material if so that and nice blouse with flats

16. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 29, 2007

The key word for Kindergarten is : Washable. ;)

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 29, 2007

Speaking of comfy shoes, anyone know a good place for comfy ballet flats? I start student teaching Kindergaten next week (can't wait!!!!) and would like to add a pair or two to my very limited shoe wardrobe. But I don't want to buy a pair that seems comfy at the store and then turns out to not be so comfy after all! I've been wearing a pair of very comfy sandals all summer at my pre-school but they don't really go with some of my nicer pants and skirts I'll be wearing now. Thanks for any advice!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

try Payless... I know they had some earlier in the season.

19. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 29, 2007

I ordered some ballet flats that are actually Crocs!!!:) They are called "prima"...they have all kinds of colors! I couldn't resist the red! I think they look great with my leggings!

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 29, 2007

21. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 30, 2007

I own those sketchers in cream! LOVE 'em! :) I plan on getting a brown and black pair! They are super comfy and still hip!:)