What should I teach?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by cowboy300, Jul 10, 2010.

1. cowboy300

cowboy300 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

Hello all,

I'm currently working as an emergency certified substitute teacher in PA and I want to go back through an online school to get certified. Which area would I have the best chance of getting a job: Elementary (I am male and would prefer this), Math, or Physics? I'm willing to move anywhere but inner city but would prefer to stay in the mid-Atlantic down to North Carolina. Thanks!

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

deleted my OP: sorry read wrong

Personally, I think it's GREAT when males are teaching at an elementary school. It gives the students different perspective and a different person to look up to. If you really enjoy the little ones then go for it! = ) AND I don't believe there are a whole lot of males vying for elementary positions therefore it may impress a principal AND get you noticed.

If you feel you mesh better with jr high/high school then go for the physics or math, or both! = ) both areas are in high demand, especially math.

You are in a unique position in that you can make a good impression with all 3 areas. Tough choice...

4. cowboy300

cowboy300 Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks for the advice but that's not what I meant. I know physics and math are only secondary. I'm wondering which of the 3 I'll have the best chance of getting a job with my favorite group being elementary. What are your thoughts?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2010

In this order:
    Physics,
    Math,
    everything else,
    then elementary.

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 12, 2010

Elementary is extremely competitive, however if you really want to get an elementary job if wouldn't hurt to add a reading endorsement. Networking is very big, start right now. Treating every day you sub like an interview will help you stand out to principals.

7. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I agree with Aliceacc (as usual). Physics definitely is high demand, followed by math.

Good luck!

8. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 12, 2010

I agree with Ms. about adding an edorsement that would allow you to teach elementary. It seems that's where your true passion is. So maybe getting your certification in one of the other areas and an endorsement will help guide you to the area of education you're meant to be in.

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Im from IL and if your a male going for an elementary position you get first priority it seems like. They love the idea of having a male in the building and having a male role model. Of course you would still have to do great at the interview, but if elementary is your passion you should go for it :)

10. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 13, 2010

Im from NC. Just from what I see in Elementary Schools males are in high demand. You said you would not want to do inner city but there are a lot of rural areas in NC as well. I know the past school I worked at several teachers got jobs who were from up north as well as the midwest.

Good Luck! Perhaps even combine the 2 where you do elementary as well as a Math focus/concentration. Where you could do math intervention type of thing.