What should I say to my principal when quitting?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Dorito, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Dorito

Dorito New Member

Nov 3, 2019

This is my first year teaching, but my fiance got a job elsewhere so we are moving in about two months. I need to talk to my principal about it and I think she'll be pretty understanding, but I've never been in this situation before so I'm not sure how to respectfully say what I need to. Any tips on what to say/experiences that you've had in similar situations?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2019

Just say that, because you will be relocating with your fiance because of his new job, you will need to resign your position.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

I think you just go in and talk to her when she's not stressed (do a walk-by to check her facial expression and see what's going on - you don't want to catch her when she is upset about something else or in a hurry). Then tell her that you have really enjoyed working there and don't want to leave but that you need to resign to be with your fiance. Offer to do what you can to make the transition easier on her, your students, and your colleagues. Ask her how she'd like you to announce this change to the staff, to your students, and to your students' families. Then respect her wishes and do what you can to make things easy on everyone.

otterpop likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2019

What about this?