What should I major in?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caleb Stevens, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Caleb Stevens

Caleb Stevens New Member

Feb 24, 2020

Hello everyone,
    I’m a recent high school grad and have known I have wanted to teach high school for a little while now, but I’ve had to put college off because I keep getting conflicting information about the degree I should get.
    I’m in Georgia and the schools around hear offer a B.a in elementary Ed. And then A B.a in History with teacher cert.
    I’ve had multiple teachers say that B.a in history with teacher cert. will work and then a lot have said it will not.
    I’m having a really hard time trying to get a straight answer and any help would be appreciated!
    Also would just getting a B.a in elementary then moving up to high school be easier?
    Thanks!

3. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Feb 24, 2020

Get a B.A. in content with the teacher cert. It will give you other options, if you decide you don't want to be a teacher, or if the job market is tough. Also, as you move forward, get a M.A. in content, because then you are marketable for college teaching, if that is a way you might see yourself going in the future. I can honestly tell you I learned virtually nothing in my education classes.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 24, 2020

Who are you asking for advice? Just random teachers? Speak with someone at the university. When you start going to college you will get an Advisor who you can speak with about what to major in. It seems like you're wasting a lot of time just asking people and not asking the RIGHT people.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. OrestesELA

OrestesELA New Member

Feb 24, 2020

STEM field

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 24, 2020

You chose the two subjects that I would be least likely to recommend any aspiring teacher to major in because they are notoriously difficult to find open positions for.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 24, 2020

It is very hard in most parts of the country to get a job teaching High School History unless you are also a sought-after sports coach. Please talk to an advisor in your area and see if this is true. You will probably find that it is.

I also wouldn't recommend the "starting in elementary" and then moving up to high school. They are two very different creatures, and you will learn so many things in an elementary education program that will never apply to teaching in high school, that it would seem to me to be a waste of time. Learning how to teach phonics, for example, would be a huge part of the elementary education program -- but you'd never use that in high school. You will spend time learning how to teach beginning addition -- such as 3 + 2 using several different strategies. I highly doubt that skill will do much good in high school teaching. I'm not saying it can't be done -- I'm saying it would be wise to do it if you had another option.

I think you really need to sit down with a college advisor at the college you are considering, discuss your skills, your strengths, your interests, and especially, what local opportunities exist. There is not much demand for high school history teachers, especially those who aren't successful coaches or certified and able to teach other subject areas. I'd hate to see you put all your eggs in that basket, only to find out that the basket has a huge hole in it.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2020

Are you just listing history and elementary with cert because that is all that is available or because you are only interested in teaching history or elementary?

HS usually requires a major in the subject you want to teach. So, a Bachelors degree in History, Math, Chemistry, English and so on. So, getting elementary then would not be a good option.

I agree with the others. The two fields listed are the hardest jobs to get aside from maybe some specials like drama. While they require very specialized skills, there is usually only one in a high school.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2020

I suggest something that you are passionate about. You have put off college - for how long? Do you think it will be an easy job, and you will have summers off? Did a specific teacher influence you strongly while you were in HS? Your post kind of sounds like you are looking for the easiest path to teaching, but you give very little about what motivates you or makes you choose this path. Maybe a little more about why you want to teach would help us help you.

For what it is worth, the first year or two in college will be basics, so I would take some comfort knowing that a total commitment to a very specific degree is not mandatory. You will have time to change your mind when you find that you do or do not like some lines of learning, allowing you to tweak your program as you go.