What should I look for?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by leighbball, Apr 24, 2009.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2009

Soooo....for those of you who remember, I posted a while ago about how I hoped to move to 1st grade for next year. Well, an inside source says someone is resigning and it should work out!!

I'm going to start looking out for resources (but not buy anything until its official)...but anything you think I should look for? I've taught 2nd and 3rd for the last 5 years, so I need help!

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 24, 2009

Hmm... What kind of resources? Professional books, kid's books, manipulatives, etc?

4. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 24, 2009

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 24, 2009

I'll have to think about it Leigh.

4alicat I read the second website as hell of first grade. I had to reread it haha.

6. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 24, 2009

Oh no!! :eek: You scared me for a second! I thought I might have misspelled it. That would have been terrible! :p

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2009

Yeah, I was thinking about professional teacher books, books for my library, games, etc. Thanks!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 24, 2009

You will need a lot of easy reader books on all levels for your library so the kids can read them independently and a system for letting them know which books are on their level. I would also just keep an eye out for literacy centers that can be easily differentiated and/or changed in some way when the kids get tired of them.

9. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Apr 25, 2009

I just got the book The Daily Five which explains how to set up a literacy management system so that your kids can work independently while you work w/ guided reading groups or conference w/ kids. It's by 2 sisters named Gail Boushey and Joan Moser.

They just came out with their 2nd book called The Daily CAFE. I'm going to try and order that one this weekend too. It sounds pretty interesting.

I also just signed up as a member at proteacher.net because they have a great forum w/ tons of info on this topic. http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=64

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2009

As far as beginning readers are concerned, I highly recommend these books:

http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=2381M

It's a series called Primary Phonics. If you use workbooks, it has workbooks and beginning readers that are leveled according to the phonetic concepts you're teaching. I use them with my kindergartners (level 1) and our first and second grade teachers use the other levels. If you have non-readers at the beginning of the year, though, level 1 is definitely the way to start.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2009

Thanks guys!

I know about the Daily 5 and used a modified version this year in 3rd grade before I went out on sick leave. I love it! I should def reread it this summer :)

12. cateste

cateste Companion

Apr 27, 2009

great websites

Your kids will love to use kerpoof.com (they'll need your help a lot in getting started) and starfall.com (they'll be off and running on their own quickly). They are both fantastic for LA activities and both are free. If your school has $$$ try headsprout.com. Kids can use this one at home with their parents.