What should I have DONE by first day?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by luv2teach1st, Aug 17, 2009.

1. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

I was wondering what things I should have completely finished by the first day? I know my bulletin boards should be up, and my behavior system should be established but... should I come up with class rules or wait for the students to help me? What other things do you have ready to go on Day One?

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Lesson plans for the first week certainly! I'm going to have my class help create their own rules during the first three days, so technically, those won't be posted or "decided" yet, but you should still have some basic rules and understanding in place when they get there. Most kids are pretty good I think during the first week or so since everything is new and it's a bit intimidating (especially for the younger kids).

I have my bulletin boards up, all my materials for the first week set out and ready to grab when I need them. I have desk tags on the desks and I have the room arranged how (I think) I want it. I have as much labeled with the kids' names as possible (homework folders, coat racks, mailboxes, etc.). I have ready my plan for how mornings will go (where the kids hang up backpacks and coats, what they do when they enter the classroom, etc.). If you issue textbooks, I'd have all their names written in them and ready to hand out. I would also label workbooks if you have them. Get necessary classroom supplies set up and ready to use (e.g. pencil sharpeners, baskets for turning in work, etc.). Have extra work or a read aloud book ready to go in case you end up with 5-15 minutes of "free" time you weren't expecting to have!

Last year I collected a whole slew of sponge activities to use at a moment's notice. I printed them out and cut them to fit on a 3x5 card. I put them all in a little 3x5 card box and keep it handy.

Have a schedule (including transition time) ready.

Some stuff will change after a week or so...you might find your desk arrangement to be absolutely horrible and switch it all around or you might find the schedule you came up with has some practical flaws in it you didn't think about beforehand. That stuff can be easily changed once the year gets going.

Really, though, I suppose the MOST important thing is that you have detailed lesson plans for the first week and ALL the materials and copies needed for the plans ready to go. Kids can deal with a classroom without finished bulletin boards or a pencil sharpener. It's a lot harder to deal with kids when you don't have plans for them!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

well said mdith4him! If you have time, I'd do as much as possbile... once school starts you'll wonder where time went!

As for your rules, I would have the ones you want in your mind and whatever rules your class comes up with, guide them/reword them to the ones you want.

If you don't have much time, I recommend getting the lesson planning/copying/materials needed ready first. I would also have organizational stuff ready - where will you put parent notes? Stuff like that.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2009

You should have your calendar or anything you might use during morning meeting time or calendar math time already set up. IF you do 100 days of school, you need an activity started on day one.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 20, 2009

Regarding bulletin boards: I only have black felt (backing instead of paper) on my boards, and their borders, with the exception of the one that has our (school-wide mandatory) classroom rules on it and my Calendar Math board. My behavior/conduct chart is a pocket chart that hangs elsewhere. My kiddos decorate the other boards within the first week! Just a note: I love black felt - it makes whatever you put on the board "pop" - my kids art work looks fabulous!