What should I do?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iowa_Teacher, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I am entering a position where the previous teacher passed away during the school year. There is still a lot of her stuff in the classroom and it's been a year. What do I do with the stuff I have no use for? I want to honor her, but I don't even teach some of the classes and some of it is her personal lessons which I won't be needing. She is still very much missed in the school and I don't want to be the one who throws this stuff out, but it's my classroom now and this stuff is frankly in my way. Any advice is welcome! :confused:

3. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Maybe you can give it to her family- perhaps the principal has a way to contact them and you can send it as a care package with a nice card.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

I agree talk to your principal. Maybe offer it to other staff memebers that knew here. Students that miss her..........
    Of course after you call the family to see if they want any of it.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Talk to your principal--someone needs to contact the family to see if they have any wishes. If there aren't specific requests made, perhaps you can put things into the staff room and have the principal announce that they are there for the staff to use. If there are class library books and teacher resource books, donating them to the school library would be a nice gesture (perhaps the librarian could put a sticker in them indicating that they were donated in the teacher's memory).

6. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 12, 2007

My best friend is a teacher. So was her mom, who died from cancer last year. She had been at the school for years. I will tell you the best thing to do is ask your Principal to call the family, as others here have mentioned. They may want to come in and meet with the Principal or they will say to donate it. I can imagine how delicate this is for you. You will have an angel watching over your classroom. That is what I say about her mom. :love:

7. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

The thing is----it's a new principal. He didn't know her at all and I'm not even sure if he's started yet! I mean---the books and stuff I'll keep because I've never been one to throw away materials I might be able to use, but there are like resumes and transcripts. I was lead to believe the family took everything already (it was over a year ago) I just don't want to be the one to "throw out" this woman's stuff you know? Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

8. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Maybe ask your fellow teachers when you get a chance to see if anyone knew her well enough to get in touch with her family or take the left over stuff

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Maybe I'm mean or something, but I would probably just toss that personal stuff if it's just resumes and things. If I found cards or personal notes, I'd try to make sure those made it back to her family. But really, what is her family going to do with a bunch of resumes?

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 12, 2007

I had to go through my mother's things when she passed away several years ago. It was a tough thing to do. I agree with Cassie - if this is stuff that no one else could use, just pitch it. The family won't have to deal with yet another issue about their mother dying.

11. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Thank you Cassie753 and GlendaLL and everyone else who answered. Now I feel a little validated that I won't be killing this womans memory if I throw out some junk. I'm just a VERY organized person and she ummm wasn't so something is going to have to change :thanks:

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

Whatever "stuff" that teacher left behind - that you need to get rid of - will not "kill this woman's memory." Her family and co-workers will remember her this mother and teacher for her loving spirit, kindness to others, and dedication to her profession.

Clean things out and get your classroom organized so that you can do your job well!

(Where in Iowa are you located? I am originally from Kingsley, Iowa - near Sioux City.)

13. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I'm from central Iowa. Small towns and corn fields haha

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

Hey, I know all about small towns and corn fields! Kingsley has about 1,200 people - no stop lights. Kingsley and Pierson joined together to make one school district. There were 52 people in my high school graduating class.

My husband thinks it is hilarious that you can park in the MIDDLE of the street there! Like many town around there, they have diagonal parking on the sides of the streets and parallel parking, from either direction, in the middle of the street. I tell him that the snow goes in the middle of the street during the winter time.

My 88-year-old dad still lives out on the farm, by himself. We always grew corn there for the feeder cattle.

15. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

People just don't understand the amount of community that you can get in a small town. I just moved to the town I will be teaching in and I don't know anyone here, but random people stop and say hi to me on the street---even students who don't know I'm their future teacher. It's nice to feel welcomed which I've never gotten when I've been in other larger towns (even cedar falls) haha!

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 13, 2007

Oh, that is so true!!
    A few years ago four precious young girls (ages 9 - 13) were killed in a snowmobile accident. They drove across a country road just as a high school student popped over a hill and, through no fault of his own, hit the snowmobiles. Two girls died instantly and one shortly afterwards. The fourth died in a hospital in Sioux City.

This happened in Pierson - population about 350 people. Over 1000 people came to the memorial service (held at the school). The community surrounded the grieving families with love and support. Everyone knows everyone in a small town and step up to help when needed.

17. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Another thought: if there is any item you may still be a little unsure of, or uncomfortable throwing out, put it in a file folder (Oh, how I love file folders- but they HAVE to be labeled) with maybe a title, "found in room __ ", and file it in the back of your file cabinet, or leave it with a guidance counselor. After you've been in the position for awhile, you may have a better idea about what to do.

18. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions! I just got the guts and asked the secretary what to do. I'm putting it all in a box for the family.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

I'm all set with small towns (102 people) haha.

20. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Wow! That is small!