What should I do?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by megan, Jul 23, 2015.

1. megan

megan Rookie

Jul 23, 2015

I am planning to be a middle school math teacher. I am ready for Praxis test. However, in order to get a middle school math teacher cert, you have to need 15 credits to apply it, is that correct?

I am pretty good at math, but I don't have enough credits from the college.

What should I do at first?
    1-Get more math credits?
    2-pass Praxis test?
    3-take some courses to get credits?
    4-any exams could be applied to credits?

Thanks!

3. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 23, 2015

How many credits are required depends on your state's DOE requirements. Are you taking an alternative path to certification? If you're taking the college route, you will certainly have enough credits if you majored in education (with a focus on math).

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 23, 2015

I would take the 15 credits first, get them out of the way, and you'd have a better chance of passing the Praxis.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2015

Clep exams can be taken for the credits. If you're not as good in math as you think, it is an easier way to find out. If you are as good as you think, it is a cheap way to add the needed credits. Any community college can walk you through the process, the cost is about $100, more or less, and the amount of credit each test is worth can be found by looking up CLEP exams on any CC website. Pass the exams, you may have to pay the CC to get it on a transcript, send to the state, get that approved by the state (easy), and then just pass the MS Math Praxis II exam. I do believe that you must also have an Elem. Ed. license to have the MS Specialization certificates, but if you already have that, you are good to go.

Good luck.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2015

My state has their own exams. I had to take five of them. I took the first one alone, first. Then I took my content area exams (math and social studies) while still taking classes. I took my final two (elementary and early childhood) right before I student taught. I was completely done before graduation so I didn't have to wait for results to get my license.

7. megan

megan Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Thanks. Yes, my major is Education with a focus on special ed.

8. megan

megan Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

thanks!

9. megan

megan Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Thank you very much! I will give a try on CLEP. Yes. I already have Elem Ed license.

10. megan

megan Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Great.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2015

Since you already have a license, you're on the state department of education's radar, and you should be able to call or email a live person to find out whether or not you really do need those 15 units. If you were in California, I'd tell you to pack up your transcript and head for the local county office of education to chat up a credential analyst; one devoutly hopes that all states have something similar.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2015

Actually, I can assure you that NJ absolutely demands that the 15 undergraduate credits be there. I had a course that wasn't as typically an English course on the East Coast, but was routinely considered an English course in the Midwest, where I went to school. No amount of documentation that this was considered an English course by numerous big name universities would sway them. I had already taken and scored very high on the Praxis. I had decided to just drop it when something about Clep Exams fell into my lap. A little research, checking with the state before taking the exam, and it was done in two weeks, after languishing for 18 months. They are also extremely stringent about "pure" math courses free of pedagogy (or any other subject.) Where they give some is the permission for the coursework to be without a logical sequence - any 15 credits in math will do as long as they aren't about how to teach math. NJ can be quirky, but they are consistent in their type of quirks!