What should I do?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by PrincessDaisy, May 23, 2014.

1. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

May 23, 2014

I was teaching in an Abbott preschool and got fired. I've been applying like crazy. I've gotten a lot of interviews, but never get the job. I applied to a few local daycares. I was on an interview today and got an offer for a daycare job. However, the pay is only 12 an hour with limited benefits and no paid holidays. I know it's better than nothing, but I wonder if I take it now am I messing up my chances to get a better job before September? I know can't take time off for awhile. What would you do? I still have a few weeks to "decide", because I can't start until my finger printing results come back and my appointment is in June.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

May 23, 2014

If you need the money, I'd take it. If you can afford to not work while searching for something more satisfying, then do that. I don't think taking the job now would hinder any chances of finding a better one though, unless they will get upset if you ever take a day off to go on another interview.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 23, 2014

I don't know your situation but I would take it and keep looking. Since you got fired from your pervious job, this will help establish that you are a good employee.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

You can deliver pizza for more than$12 an hour...I'd take subbing plus a flexible job like waitressing or bar tending over such an insulting offer.:|

6. mermaidm

mermaidm New Member

May 23, 2014

I would take the job, having a gap in employment doesn't look good either. Plus gaining experience is always a plus!

7. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

May 23, 2014

I still have some time to decide not to take if I get a job in the next three or so weeks before my prints are done and the results are given. If I don't get another better offer, I'll just stay with this. My unemployment runs out the end of June. It's really annoying to have to take less than 30K a year when I was making 50K. :(

8. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

May 23, 2014

I can't go back to subbing. Subbing made me feel very anxious. Even when I had a longterm job (which was most of the 12-13 year) I was always wondering what's next. I see you're from NJ, too. It's too competitive here. I wish we'd have UPK here like they do in NY. It would give a lot of much needed jobs.

9. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

May 24, 2014

I think it would depend on why you got fired from your last job. Most districts ask if you've ever been fired, and if you have, they want to know why. It could really hurt your job chances, especially if you're already in a super competitive market.

10. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 24, 2014

More and more school districts and schools fire people over literally nothing.

At least in Oregon, they've largely abandoned those kind of questions on job applications of having been fired, etc., because of the recognition there are many principals who abuse their authority and get rid of people they simply don't like or get them out on petty charges. Contrary to myth, it's very easy to get rid of a teacher. The questions you will find up here want to find out about criminal charges, misconduct involving children, and so forth. You know, the questions that really are important to school districts, not questions to find out if a principal wanted to cover his or her backside or if there is a personality conflict.

If an application asks the "have you ever been fired, forced to resign, etc." questions, don't apply for that district or school. Period. It's a weeding-out question designed to screen you out and never make the cut. HR doesn't care about the reason for the firing. Checking off "yes" will automatically disqualify you in the job application process. Checking off "no" could jeopardize your license if the lie is found out after you get a job.

11. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 24, 2014

Take the job. Count yourself lucky you have the potential to bounce back from adversity.

12. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 24, 2014

Agree with you. Taking another job while subbing is next to impossible because first jobs, let alone second jobs, are next to impossible to get in this economy. Subbing does not pay the bills; it is a ticket to a black hole of poverty with no guarantee of ever securing a regular teaching job. The person suggesting it has no clue how utterly brutal the job market currently is.

Take the 12-buck-an-hour job that is at least a consistent job.

13. willow129

willow129 Comrade

May 25, 2014

I would keep applying in the meantime and take the job if nothing better comes up...and then keep applying when you've got the job :p because at least it's a teaching job and can go on your resume

14. MonicaWinter

MonicaWinter Rookie

May 25, 2014

It's on all the applications I've seen so far...east coast

15. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 28, 2014

That question is on EVERY single job I have ever applied to in New York, teaching or otherwise. That is a standard application question around here.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 28, 2014

Me too, and I've literally applied to hundreds of districts in both Ohio and Colorado. My previous principal non-renewed almost half the staff. Everyone that I know of did get another job, but they also put "no" to that application question even though they had been non-renewed, because they weren't even getting any interview calls when they checked "yes." To them it was worth the risk of getting caught vs. being pretty much guaranteed to be weeded out of every application pile. The union was able to make it so the principal would have to say that anyone not accused of gross misconduct was "eligible for hire" when asked in reference checks if she would hire the person back, so even though a current principal reference is also required they were able to get around that.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 28, 2014

I suggested it. I'm in Jersey and I know what the job market is like. I also know it can be more difficult moving fom a $12 an hour job to a contracted teaching position than moving from a subbing position to full time teaching....plus maybe you have 'no clue' as to how very little $12 an hour will buy in NJ...there are plenty of people who work several jobs at that rate to barely avoid poverty.
    Ditto.

OP...only you can know what works best for you...can you survive on $12 per hour? Will you feel fulfilled in this position? Do you get benefits?

18. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

May 28, 2014

i would take the job so that when you apply for other jobs, you can say that you chose to leave instead of saying you were fired from your last job.

You can look at this year as a paid internship to boost your resume for the job you really want.