What should I do?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bridiecakes, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Jan 20, 2010

This is my 2nd year in K. I have taught preschool and 1st in the past. This year my group seems to be really low. There are a handful of kids who are really struggling with letters and sounds. I have tried many things, and have all the extra helpers that come to my room work with these kids on letters and sounds. I feel frustrated because I've tried a number of things with these kids and they just are not getting it. I've used sand to trace letters, dry erase boards, and many other hands-on approach tactics. I also feel like I am putting all my time and effort on these really low kids and not helping the others as much as I should. I know it's our job to meet all the needs of the kids, but I'm just feeling like its not enough!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

:(

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2010

How are you introducing the letters? Are they learning a handful at once, one at a time?

When I taught kinder and had students who weren't getting it, I would back off and have them work on a letter at a time. Do you guys have RTI or some sort of intervention time? This really helped us to work with those kids who needed help with certain letters. Some kids just need more time to get the letters. I also ended up retaining those kiddos.

4. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for the response. We introduced about 2 letters a week. We learned all letters by the end of December and are beginning to build words now. We are just beginning to introduce the RtI process in my district. At this point we have AIS, and the reading teacher is being pushed into my class to work with the strugglers. I am also getting a lot of support from the speech teacher.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2010

I didn't get a chance to finish because we had to turn the power off and that affected our internet. But, I was going to ask, are the students who are struggling, ELD students? I ask because I noticed that with some of my ELD students, it somtimes took them a while longer to learn the names and sounds. Usually, they got it all by March, it just took a bit longer.

6. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Jan 20, 2010

There's come a time when I think one has to go "old school." These researchers come up with all of these research and scientifically based methods when sometimes plain ol' drilling and killing may be the solution. Maybe give it a try?

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2010

Hmm, yeah, now that I think about it, while I did a lot of hands on things for my kids to learn, we also did the ole' drill type method.

Everyday, my kids would sing an alphabet song, such as Who Let the Letters Out, or the Train Alphabet, or Alphardy (all from Dr. Jean) and MORE. My student helper of the day would pick which alphabet song to sing. He would then point with the stick on the letter while the class sang along. OH!!! I forgot. Hand Movements. THese REALLY helped my kids learn the letters. Each letter had a hand movement. I taught kinder using OCR and HM. Which do you use. For both programs, we had hand movements that we used when we taught the letters. It feels like ages since I taught kinder so I forgot all of these things that I did.

8. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

Do you have an alphabet chart that you do daily with the letters, sounds and picture? We use a chart like this one from www.trcabc.com. I have a small copy of the chart in their reading binder and we read it first thing every morning. Most of the kids have it memorized by now. We say A /a/ apple, B /b/ bike, C /c/ cat, etc. It has really helped the kids associate the sounds with the letters.

9. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

Another thing that my kids love is the Singable Songs Letters and Sounds DVD from Heidisongs.com. This is our first year using it and I believe it has definitely been a huge asset to some of my lower kids. (My high level kiddos love them, too! The Letter S song is my favorite!) http://heidisongs.com/Letters/Letters_Sounds.html

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2010

This does work...even with my special ed. classes.

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 23, 2010

I have a similar situation this year... one thing that has really helped is infusing music into the day. We sing Lettercise by Dr. Jean and Workout to the Letter Sounds by Jack Hartmann DAILY.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 23, 2010

I have one student that doesn't know her letters. We are just working on her name. Once she learns one letter in her name we move onto the next. I feel like we aren't moving very fast.
    I am lucky that is it only one student.

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 23, 2010

You are lucky. I have six... which makes me feel not so hot.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 23, 2010

I think it is so sad that K have to learn to read. My own kids did not learn to read in K, but in first grade.

15. LOOPYLOO1

LOOPYLOO1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2010

Where can i find DR Jean website or info.

16. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Jan 29, 2010

drjean.org is her website. We also use Who Let the Letters Out, Lettercise, and did use Phonercise that we sang with a book that another teacher gave me. I only have one student who still has about 5 letters to go and a few letter sounds. During Sidewalks, our intervention time, the assistant does a variety of activities. One activity she does with them a lot is play Letter Go Fish and Letter Concentration. They love this and it is very engaging. Those are just a couple of ideas and I don't have much experience, so I'm sure there are better ones out there!