What should I do when...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Apr 12, 2008

What should I do when...

A student is doing work from another subject in class? Should I take the worksheet or book away? Give a warning? I have a student who always does work from another subject, when I tell her to put it away she is defiant.

What do you do when a student does this?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 12, 2008

If they are doing other work in transition moments, it isn't a big deal, but if they are doing it while you are teaching, or while they are supposed to be participating or working, I'd take it away and return it later to the teacher from whom the work came.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 12, 2008

It depends on what you are doing in the class at that time. If you are teaching a lesson she should put it away. I would give a warning and if she doesn't take it away from her.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2008

I agree with Jaime. But also, is there a reason she does this? Does she have anyone at home that helps her with her work? If not, she may do this because she knows you're there. if she does have someone, she may just be defiant and a bit of a brat.

I always make extra copies of homework or worksheets, so if I catch someone doing it too many times, I rip it up, throw it away, and give them a new one at the end of the day. I know, I'm mean, right? :)

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2008

I teach middle school LA, and I make it very clear at the beginning of the year that they are only to work on LA related things during our "down" time. That means if they finish a particular task and are waiting for their classmates, they should read their outside reading book or work on whatever piece of writing they are writing at a given time. If I catch them doing math or science or whatever, I take the paper and give it to the teacher, along with a message that the student was working on it in LA. Usually the other teacher throws it in the trash. Kids get mad, but they also know from the very beginning what the policy is, so I don't usually get too much guff about it.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 12, 2008

I'm with Mrs R. I take the work and give it to the teacher. I had one student get a zero on a midterm because she was studying science while I was trying to teach. Them's the breaks.

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 12, 2008

What about students who love LA but who are simply very fast readers and workers? If a student has finished the work a teacher has assigned, why not work on something else if there's a little down time? Such students are usually avid readers and it's not like they're not going to be reading for pleasure elsewhere.

Students who NEED to be working because they're not finished, or very slow, etc, are another story altogether.

But I was a lightning-fast reader and writer and almost always finished my LA work with plenty of time to spare. That's when I did my history! If a student can do both in one period and still get straight A's, what's the big deal?

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2008

I think that if a student gets their work done as assigned in a class, they should be allowed to work on their other school work. It's not like they're reading a comic book for pete's sakes.

10. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Apr 12, 2008

Last year I had a student who worked on Geometry homework in the morning during my History class. The student was warned but did not stop ...

Realize student plays baseball + Talk to the Coach x Embarrassment at Practice = No more math homework during History class :)

If the student is finished with any and all assigned material for me, I have no problem with it and quietly applaud them for using their time wisely.

11. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 12, 2008

I'm usually weary of the haugthy teacher who would comment... "I teach the entire period so there is no time for other work from other classes in my room"

(BTW I am not making any reference to a known person but a figment of my paranoid mind)

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2008

I don't mind if they are doing it when their is down time. But when I am teaching, no way! I will take it and give it the teacher or back to the student at the end of class (the school building I was in last year was to big for me to return it to others)

Now if it is a soduko puzzle for "extra credit" I toss it. And I never let a kid do work for another class if they are failing mine. I find something for them to do.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 12, 2008

I also don't have a problem if all of my work is done. Ditto for the student who is failing my class. If they're doing fine and they're finished with the day's work, then go ahead and do somebody else's homework. The girl I was refering to earlier was doing science while I was actively lecturing/teaching. To me that's just plain wrong.

14. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 13, 2008

I wonder if she's doing the next periods homework. I have found that alot of students try this with me. They'll say, "oh please! this is due next period!!!"

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2008

If it was down time I wouldn't mind if she was doing work for another class. When you tell her to put it away and she becomes defiant is another story. Since you teach 3rd, I would probably pull her aside, tell her when she can do other work (when she's done with your assignments, not at all, whatever) and then tell her the consequences if she chooses to do work at any other time. I would then tell her that becoming defiant is not the way to deal when she is told to put her work away. I would then lay out the consequences if she becomes defiant after you tell her to put her work away.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2008

Not sure why you would be weary (or wary?) of this type of teacher, but I do teach the entire period and it is rare for students to have a moment to work on something else. If they do finish something early, almost all of them have missing assignments they could complete, or a longterm project to work on. Only after ALL of that is complete would I allow a student to work on something from another class, and then, of course it would be ok.

If they are working on it during down time, I would remind them what they can work on for my class and ensure it was finished first. If they were blatantly working on it when they were supposed to be doing something else, I would take it and give it to the other teacher. If they were copying someone else's work, I would turn it in to the teacher, as well.

I still don't get why saying that you teach from bell to bell is haughty. Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing? I guess I am haughty.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2008

I don't have a problem with students doing other class work as long as I'm not teaching or they have work due in my class. If I do find out they're doing it during my time, I take it up and give it to that teacher.

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 13, 2008

I guess I'm haughty, too. I thought we were SUPPOSED to teach from bell to bell. Isn't that what we're paid to do?

As a student, I always assumed that teachers who gave us the last fifteen or twenty minutes of the period to "get started on our homework" were just lazy. After I started teaching, I still thought that.

Some of my former students who dropped by for a visit told me that their high school English teacher gave them thirty minutes of sustained reading every single day, and "if there was enough time left over, we'll have a lesson from the textbook."

I asked the kids what their teacher was doing while his students read, and they told me he played solitaire on his computer or graded tests.

Bell to bell. That's what we're supposed to be doing!!!!!

I always liked the teachers who stopped teaching after twenty minutes, though. That's when I did my homework and read my own library book, not the assigned novel. (Those were always terrible, and I'd already read them in fourth grade.)

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 13, 2008

Is this student supposed to be working on another assignment, or is this during instruction time? If it is instruction time, I would give a warning, then take it away. Do you have homework folders? Have her put the assignment in a folder, and put it away, either in a desk or better yet, on a shelf out of the way. Remove the temptation, and she won't be able to break your rule.

I have students who, if I give them time to work, will ask if they have to work on that lesson or if they can work on something else. Now before I get jumped on for the bell-to-bell issue, keep in mind, I'm self-contained and sometimes have 15 or 20 minutes left at the end of the day that the students appreciate having to do a little work.

Sorry, Mama, but I don't think that is being lazy. When we have worked hard for 6 hours that day, 15 minutes is appreciated, needed, and deserved. I realize you were probably referring to teachers who have a 50 minute period for each class, but even in my remedial 8th math class, I occasionally give them a few minutes at the end of the class to just relax. Sometimes my trade will be if they can be silent and pay attention for 35 minutes, we can play a game for the last 10. I have even been known to trade clean notes and a passing quiz score for 15 minutes of knock out in the gym (basketball game). Sometimes it depends on the class what strategies (or bribes) work!

20. JustT

JustT Comrade

Apr 13, 2008

Wary -- weary both can be used to explain my position. Though, I didn't explain the thought thoroughly. The comment irritates me because, after a teacher said it, I observed students repeatedly having small talk and the teacher constanly redirecting students to keep it down, when their work was done 15 minutes till the next class... Wouldn't it be more constructive to use this time to work on unfinshed work from other classrooms than yelling at them because they sound like they are in the cafeteria. Even reading silently would be a better idea... but since it was math and majority of the students were done quickly they were not ALLOWED to read or complete any work from other classrooms. They enjoyed a social off task conversation about the new video game or pestering their neighbor till the bell rang while the teacher had a conference with one student at a time.

I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when I hear teachers say they don't have time to teach science and social studies when this type of time wasting occurs in the elementary level. IMO

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 13, 2008

This issue became such a problem in my room this year that I had to resort to extreme measures. Even though I made it clear at the beginning of the year that the students were to work on assigned work from the current class during free work time, then work from other classes that have already been taught that day, then read a book or go to learning centers, and even though repeated warning were given students still insisted on doing work from one subject while I was teaching another. Often times they were rushing to get last night's math done during my morning English class or else they were trying to do today's science during social studies so they would not have to take it home. This was happening while I was teaching, and they knew better because they were trying to do it in their laps! So extreme measures kicked in some time in January, and that sort of behavior resulted in the work being taken away, torn into fourths, and thrown in the trash. They got the picture rather quickly although they still need a "refresher course" every now and then.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 13, 2008

After a few incedences, my kids are really good about it now. They also know I'm a hard a$$ about them doing my work in other teachers' classes. Disrespect is disrespect, they're not going to do it to me, or anybody else.