What should I do since I'm leaving private school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hac711, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 26, 2010

Hi! Need some help here. I am moving to a different state. I currently work in a private school and want to switch to public. I still need to take my praxises (praxi??) and get the new state's teaching certificate (my private school didn't require any of this). I was thinking that applying to be a sub in the public system will help me get my foot in the door, but I have others say that is how I will be looked at always. A sub. I don't think that is fair since I have taught as lead teacher for 5 years and I am a department head in my current school. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

3. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 26, 2010

Well, this is a tough time to take any shortcuts getting into public education, but if you're looking at teaching in a school that is having a hard time finding personnel (inner city, middle of nowhere) you can apply for an emergency credential in many states. With your background they should be eager to grant it, assuming there's a need for teachers in the particular location.

4. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 27, 2010

Gee, I didn't even think of that! Thanks! I will check into it!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2010

I would think subbing would help you. And so what if you are thought of as a sub? For a short time, that's what you will be, and subs are still teachers. And what if you are a great sub? And what if teachers request you all the time? And what if an opening at a school becomes available and the principal knows you well from your previous subbing? There are too many ifs in that equation, and you have to make it work for you. What do you do if you don't sub? Then nobody knows you? You have no ties with any schools and districts?

6. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 27, 2010

I left a private school, as well, and I am searching for public employment. I am a sub - I think it is pretty much understood that I am doing it to get my foot in the door. I don't feel I get less work for that fact. The sub pay in my county isn't too far from my private school salary. I've also taken some PD courses through a neighboring county's Bd. of Ed. The credits are extremely inexpensive, it gives me a chance to meet other teachers, and I get a glimpse of things in that county.
    Get in touch with your new state's DOE as soon as possible - most have a website. If you are close to MD credentials, you may be close to other states', as well. MD share reciprocity (sp?) with many other states.

7. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 27, 2010

Thanks!
    This is really helpful. I am just at a turning point in my life and moving so I am just overwhelmed at what to do!