What should I do for my student???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, May 23, 2011.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 23, 2011

Her mother passed away this weekend..:( I would like to do something for the family and include the rest of my class, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is it appropriate?? This is a first for me. Do I take donations to help pay for a meal or flowers for the service? I'm at a loss and could you some advice...:confused:

Thank you.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 23, 2011

Maybe back a casserole or ask the students to make cards.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 23, 2011

We had a student this year lose his mother and the P called the father to find out what he could use. He said he needed $ for funeral expenses, so we took up a collection from the staff.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 24, 2011

Unfortunately, I have had a parent of a student pass away every year I have taught (7 total). I always have the class make a card for their classmate which I take to visitation. Talk to the family members to see what their needs may be. My school will usually take up donation among the teachers for the family to use for their needs. I also get the student a blank journal upon their return to school in case they need to write some of their feelings. Make sure you talk to your student when they return to school and let them know it's okay if they need to talk to the counselor, you, or another staff member they are comfortable with. I usually come up with a signal they can use if they don't want to say anything.
    Hope this helps!