What should I be doing?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mom2two, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I know that there are lots of things that I could be spending my free time in the summer working on, but what? Can anyone help me out with what you are already doing in order to get ready for the year? I would like to get a letter ready to send out to my kids... not sure what else, though.:thanks:

3. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I just moved states and got a job at a new school so it feels like my first year all over again.

I am reading the novels that schools has, curriculum mapping and assigning lessons to standards, planing the classroom theme, getting materials read for lit. circles, and doing some me projects.

4. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 7, 2009

I always feel in sort of a shock/slump and don't know what to do knowing I have so many things to do! As a matter of fact, I was thinking the same thing this week. Part of me tells me to kick back for awhile- it'll start soon enough. I am going to make a list tomorrow so I feel more on track......I have been working on a back to school packet that tells of the nuts and bolts of our grade level.

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

Here is what I have been working on:

name tags for desks/lockers/reading area/hallway work display area; reviewing 6 Traits Writing; becoming acclimated to standards for new grade level; making study guides for new SS program; typing up a page of comprehension questions for each story in reader (unit 1 only so far) for aide/parent vol who works with small groups of students; decorating my classroom; organizing math manipulative materials; purging files in file cabinet to make room for new grade level files; getting PowerPoint ready for Open House at the end of August; getting parent letter and curriculum notes for parents ready; looking into first 2 weeks' lesson plans; organizing materials for first unit in each subject area... :dizzy:

The last two weeks in July are nuts for my family, so I like to get as much done before then as possible. I can enjoy the last couple of weeks of summer break in August if I have my "ducks in a row."

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

You could ask you P for your TEs, so you can look at the beginning lessons. You may want to make spelling words on sentence strips or charts. If your school starts in early August, it is not too soon to start working in your classroom.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2009

I have a to-do list-but it's intimidating, I know I won't get everything done. I like to teach with themes in Kinder, so I'm trying to find projects and activities that will go with the ocean, etc. I'm sorting through my books and dividing them into months so I can set up the classroom library more easily each month (not to mention actually know what books I have). Also going through some of the books I always use to identify vocab I can incorporate into lessons. I'm trying to make some gameboards into workstation activities.

Do you know what programs the school uses for reading and math? Sometimes working on lesson plans is moot if you get there the first week and they use specific programs.

And of course, I'm spending way too much time here looking for ideas :whistle:.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

Hit rummage sales for books, games, puzzles, shelves, chairs, etc.

Cut out bulletin board/wall wording
    Name plates for desks, lockers, subs, etc.
    make sentence strips
    Tape yourself reading books
    Get to know your Teacher editions
    Buy fabric for your bulletin boards

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2009

I need to get busy. I need to decorate my room, layout the first week of classes. I need to start making stuff for the first week of school. I can't really get into planning yet b/c I can't get into the curriculum, but I'm going to map out my year-at-a-glance. I should go through my stuff here at the house and decide what needs to go with me and what can stay.

10. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I did bring my first TE's home for reading and math. I starting looking at them last night. I feel like I should be getting open house ready. Again- what do I need to get ready???? I don't work well until it's crunch time!

11. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I'm not starting untill November this year so I'll probably take over someones elses class, but last summer I spent some time writing a sub folder with all the class rules and routines.
    I also googled cool science projects and looked at a lot of teacher websites to get ideas and inspiration.
    But most of the time I did what I wanted -not thinking about school at all. And especially focusing on mye own kids. Doing fun and cool things with them.

12. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Jul 8, 2009

This is a great question. Thanks for asking it for me! I was just about to ask this one! I'm sitting here looking at atoz, and I notice that some people are talking about working on back-to-school projects.

13. Loves the beach

Jul 8, 2009

Ok, now I have a problem! I am starting a job at a different school. But I have not been assigned a grade level yet. Is there anything folks like us can work on? I'm going to go through my file system, and I've thrown away junk as I cleaned my old classroom out. But that's it.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

It kind of depends based on the grade you'll teach. I am moving from 1st to kinder so this is what I'm doing.

I am cataloging all my books so I have a resource I can look up and see if I have a particular book. I have bought so many duplicates because I can't remember if I have it already.
    I am planning (in my mind) how I will set my library up so that I can find a book with I know I have it. For example, I put Tomie Depaola books together and Jan Brett book together, ocean books together, etc. Other book will go in alpha order. Mind you this is not the books kids will have access to. I will have a few bins of books out for their library. this one is for me to use while teaching.

I also spent time getting beg of year welcome letter, behavior system, and any other paperwork I will send home.

I am getting my files together and organized again. I have stuff from first and second so alot of that won't apply.

Decide of a few bulletin board and their purpose. Don't waste time things of every little cute thing you can do. Make them useful and purposeful.

I am re-read lots of professional books:
    teacher's guide to four blocks
    strategies that work
    guided reading
    literacy in early childhood
    conscious discipline
    love and logic ......to name a few

But I am wasting TONS of time on AtoZ.

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

loves the beach, I would contact P and ask. That is so hard. Don't they know teachers need to be able to plan????

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Never admit to wasting time on A to Z! :lol:

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

You know I would be able to get soooo much more done if AtoZ shut down. (I know that is a frightened idea, isn't it?)

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

When are you supposed to hear about this?

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

Loves- I saw on another thread you think 1st or 3rd. You could start putting together some basic procedures.

You could write your welcome letter.

If you plan on doing a weekly email, you could create a template for it.

20. Loves the beach

Jul 8, 2009

Great ideas. Thanks!

21. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Any of the above suggestions can help you start preparing for the new year. I have spent time updating my lessons with new activities, clearing out files, writing my class information packet, setting up my room, and scripting out the 1st day of school. Take some time an make a list and start working on it a little each day.

22. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

You can still prepare the procedures/routines to be taught. You may have to adapt to various age levels. Review the school handbook. Set up classroom basics. Hope you get the grade level soon.

23. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

You guys are sooo lucky! My school is a very transy school. As of right now our class lists are available (I do not have mine just found out today) but we have no addresses. So I cannot send out my welcome letters. Also since students move in and out of our school so much it is a waste to set up nametags because most likely 2-3 of my kids won't show up and I will probably get 3-4 new students. Oh and our lovely custodians wait until the week before school to "clean" and wax our floors of our classrooms so we can't get in til 5 days before school starts. I am very jealous right now of you guys who can start! :)

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

That is awful that you have to wait so long to get in your room and even more ridiculous that they wait so long to complete your room. I think that my room was done within three weeks of school closing.

25. Loves the beach

Jul 9, 2009

That is awful! I can't imagine waiting that long to be able to work in my classroom.

26. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I completely understand where you are coming from. :hugs: My school is very similar in that we cannot get into school until the week before the kids start. I also am at a very transient school, so like you, I am unable to set up nametags, and the like. :dizzy:

To the OP, like other posters said, work on lesson plans for the first week or so, come up with procedures, policies, etc. Good luck! :thumb:

27. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2009

This thread is giving me a headache! Lol.

In addition to getting used to 4th grade materials, I have to plan GS meetings. I'm also trying to clean out stuff from last year.

Where am I, though? Right here, on ATOZ!!