What sheets do you give parents at the beginning of the year?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by perplexed, Aug 26, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 26, 2012

I don't want to over-do it for parents since they'll get a million things on the first day from all their kid's teachers, but here's what I have for parents that students bring home on the first day:

1) Letter about me with my contact information
    2) Student Survey (answering some questions about their student) and contact form (how they want me to reach them)
    3) Just a tip sheet called "nice suggestions for a successful middle school experience")

I am stapling this all together and students need to bring one page back filled out---survey on one side and contact form on the other.

I used to include a form to be signed on behaviors, consequences, and late work policies. This year however, since I'm doing reading intervention as opposed to middle school language arts, I don't think I'm going to give as much homework. Usually it will be to read. I think our grading will be on a 1-4 point scale that's standards based.

So I'm thinking in my letter, I can briefly talk about behaviors and consequences and how I follow the school-wide matrix (for PBIS). That way, I'll inform them of the behavior and consequence information.

If you teach middle school, what do you give parents on the first day or beginning of the year?

Is it bad if I don't give a specific behavior/expectations sheet like I used to? My consequences are a school-wide thing, so it's not just specific to my class anyway. It's not like I'd do anything unusual or different than the other teachers.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

For middle school:

Intro letter including my contact information and details for finding more information online.

A survey for parents to complete for their children...interests, subjects they struggle with, behavior concerns, medical notes, etc.

A syllabus.

4. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 26, 2012

I do:

Syllabus
    Letter to Parents
    Million Words or Less

I like the idea of a middle school expectations handout. I might do one for the RW and WW workshop and integrate some middle school expectations in to it.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

We also send home a student handbook just for our grade...it's full of information!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

None.

They'll meet me a week later at Parent Orientation. But even then I don't hand anything out.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

My school sends home enough...they don't need anything else from me.

8. DKM

DKM Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

Send a parent information packet home the second week of school detailing your:

1. classroom management plan
    2. homework policy
    3. restroom procedure.

Most complaints come from these three. Make the information contained in your packet clear-cut and simple to read. The reading time should be no longer than ten minutes. Send it after a full week or more of teaching the information to your students.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2012

We have Open House a week before the kids come back, so I hand out a bunch of stuff.

- Parent letter w/contact info and various policies - SUPER important at my school.
    - Supply list
    - Parent homework
    - Permission slip for me to use student work in a professional portfolio/submit their work to a professional publication.

ETA: I don't send home a parent acknowledgement form of my policies and procedures... it's too easy for them to not sign it and then say it doesn't apply.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

The office provided us with 9 different pieces of paper that needed to go home with the kids today. There will be another 3 or 4 handouts tomorrow. From us, the teachers, our grade 5/6 class received a two page newsletter with contact info, homework expectations, etc. We had them glue that into their agendas for parents to initial.

11. pvcpa

pvcpa Rookie

Sep 7, 2012

We hold a parent orientation the week BEFORE school starts to get parents a chance to be acquainted with all of the teachers and administrators. At that time each teacher gives the parents the information they need and answers any additional questions.

I personally only send out a Syllabus.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2012

A syllabus that includes Parent Contact Information which is school mandated and includes my email address if parents need to reach me.

Other than that, nothing personally. But I do hand out and HOUND the kids to return their Free/Reduced school lunch applications as these are important for our Title 1 Funding.