What shall I do??

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Abby, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Abby

Abby Guest

Aug 27, 2004

As a new Mont teacher comming into a class of 3/4 year olds who have had several teachers before me and don't use the equipment properly what should I do?? Alot of the equipment is "played" with and thrown about etc!!! :eek:

:confused: :confused: Help :confused: :confused:

3. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 27, 2004

dont step on other toes
    if you have your ablums available allow others to enjoy
    just do the best you can do and maybe the others will remember there training and refresh.

4. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 27, 2004

sorry miss read you are the head directress now and the children will evenually normalize.

5. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 27, 2004

be firm but gentle. children dont judg

6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 6, 2004

This is what I go through every September. They run a summer program in my class then. It is very frustrating!!!!!!

You must establish procedures right from the beginning. Show them how to carry a mat, unroll, etc. Then do not even think about individual lessons for quite some time. Walk around the room and say calmly when you see someone abusing the materials.. This is not how we use that lesson...then show them. If something is really being abused make a HUGE show of removing it from the shelves and placing it high up. Tell them this is what will happen to all the lessons if they do not respect them.

You must develope your level of tolerence. I ask that the children do the lessons correctly..then they may "play" with it. I have little cars that are the same color. They must match them up then can do others things with them. They MUST keep them on a mat though.

If it means quite bare shelves for a while..so be it. They must learn to respect the materials.

7. u_rock!

u_rock! Rookie

Sep 6, 2004

agree-good points

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2004

what are the mats like ...
    how big? materials? How do you use them?

9. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Oct 14, 2004

the mats are a place for a child to work . they un roll their mat were they desire and choose the material to use. most of all the sensorial is on mats and the math like the rods and bank game . the mats are comfortable for the child to have room to work. the mats can be used to introduce to child to care for this in the environment. in the first week of school for a new child "un rolling and rolling a mat is shown to the child and is offered for him to try as well is shown where they belong. There is a special kind of care that each of the activities have . sorry if to long about mats

10. Abby

Abby Guest

Oct 15, 2004

the mats also define the child's workplace on the floor, and prevents others from standing on or interfereing with the exercise being carried out and of course helps to keep the materials clean!! :D

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2004

Yes, I like that idea . We don't have the mats so I am using tagboard and taping it to the floor and teaching them about it. I know it's not as nice as the mats that can be rolled up and put away. What could I use? Do they sell something similiar anywhere or can I make them? How big are they?thanks so much you guys!

12. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Oct 16, 2004

I do not teach Mont.
    I have 4 yr. old PRe-K and I am very frustated because I look around and see lots of playing with materials but that's it. I show the children how to use the materials but they get bored with "my way" quickly and invent their own ways.
    OK I know-child completes activity and can then play but....
    How does the child show you he/she is finished without 16 children calling your name all at once?

13. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Oct 16, 2004

the child does get freedom, but it is to choose his or her's activity to the way in which you presented it to them and only in that way.
    playing with the material is unaccepted.
    i hear you when you say they are all calling for you at the same time but this will calm down if you present a calm and a wide range of activities that can keep their interest and concentration .
    i always ask the children to place their hand on my shoulder if they need me to help show them and activity. sometimes not only one time being shown a activity is remembered so you must keep a them.
    but one thing ive learned is also not to spent time with the ones who are less needy of you.
    also observing is a big thing too. just watch them. put yourself in the background to find what interests them. you then can bring in more activities they go to. change it up a bit.
    i made a new spooning activity last night, this morning a little girl ive got in my class spotted it right away and was just waiting for me to show her.
    although most of my presenting is one on one , if i feel the room getting nosiy i just may decide to introduce to the whole class a new activity. spice it up a bit.
    i also have a basket for finished work. if your kids have like a basket they could put their work and you could look at when you have time.

14. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Oct 16, 2004

i think i miss read your post .sorry

15. Abby

Abby Guest

Oct 17, 2004

I've had the very same problem with my class, to begin with the kids just played and abused the Mont. materials :tired: and so taking advice from MDMontessori I put away ALL of the materials the kids were just not ready for and slowly began re-presenting the materials and I explained to the kids that if they did not do the exercises properly they were not to take it out because there is a "special" way to use the Mont. materials and the kids also know not to take exercises off the shelf that they have not been shown how to do. Anyways that was in the beginning of September and I have since then been taking out various exercises as the kids progress and I am very happy with my class though I know there is still much to be done :rolleyes:

Exploration with the materials in my eyes is a positive thing it shows the child's ability to think outside the box and independantly, personally I present a piece of material and allow the child to complete the exercise the way I showed them, then after that when the child takes the material off the shelf they must complete the exercise properly and they usually do several times before figuring for example that the button frame looks more like a window and sticks their head through!! :p this is fine as long as A: the material is not abused ie. banged on the table or B: the child is disturbing anybody (disturbing another child's work is just not allowed in my class) then I step in with a "please finish the exercise and put it back on the shelf if you are not going to do it properly". The Montessori classroom is all about freedom within limits and the children will soon realise and respect that. :angel: