What shady things does your school/district do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrTempest, Jan 26, 2017.

1. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Jan 26, 2017

Just wanted to hear if I am not the only one wishing an outside agency would audit their district.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2017

Is it shady if it is completely public knowledge but no one does anything about it?

You know, hypothetically of course.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 26, 2017

I could fill a book with the sketchy things my home district did/does. Denying SPED services to students who qualify, refusing to release grade information to custodial parents, retaining a teacher with severe anger-management problems (sent to court-ordered classes twice), inflating the grades of athletes, and to top it off they gave a letter of rec. to a teacher they knew to be a pedophile. They did get their butts sued off over the last one after the guy continued his behavior at another district. After seeing that as a student, I promised myself I'd never work for them as a teacher.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2017

Are you saying that you witnessed all these things as a student?

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2017

Not my district, but I can't believe the nonsense my dad's district gets away with regarding state testing!
    -Keeping kids who no longer qualify on IEPs all the way through their school career, such as a child who had an articulation problem that was fixed in early elementary school but retains the IEP "in case they need accommodations" all the way through high school. Instead of reevaluating every 3 years like we do, they check that box that says "no new information needed" every time. They do this so they can raise their percentage of students with disabilities who are passing the state test.
    -One year they took their 30 lowest 9th graders and "promoted" them to 10th grade mid year (on paper) then "retained" them in 10th grade for the following year (so in reality, they followed the trajectory they should have), all so these kids wouldn't take the 9th grade state test and ruin their scores. I still don't understand how they got away with this one.
    -Encouraging parents of low students to opt their child out of the state test.
    -Signing too many kids with IEPs up for alternate assessment (rather than the regular state test) hoping that the state won't catch all of them all and they can again raise their percentage of proficient students in the "students with disabilities" category.
    -Providing state testing accommodations that the child really doesn't qualify for that are just making the test far easier (such as a scribe so they can just dictate all of their answers, or reading the entire reading test out loud, including the passages).

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 26, 2017

My former charter school is in deep doo-doo with the state auditor. It's bad. REALLY bad, like has made national news. Upsetting to see since the teachers with whom I worked do amazing work despite everything.

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 27, 2017

Yup. There's quite a bit more that likely happened, but I can't 100% substantiate. The pedophile teacher was after I was gone, but covered extensively in the news. My brother was denied speech therapy; I was denied an IEP and was put on a 504 for permanent conditions that qualify under IDEA, then denied proper accommodations. They also refused to test my brother for dysgraphia, then refused to accept the results after my mother paid to have him tested. I "failed" 8th grade wellness because the teacher had made a mistake entering grades and had given my scores to the kid below me on the list. I had kept my graded papers and I could prove that I'd turned in the work, but the school refused to fix it or show my parents the grade break-down. The teacher admitted the error in writing, but they wouldn't change the grade. My sister and I both had the anger-management teacher - the court orders are a matter of public record and anyone could look them up. The grade inflation I know to be true after a basketball player in my Spanish class loudly asked the teacher how he got an A on the homework when he only did half of it. I would have had a much worse time in school if I didn't come from a family with a lot of Ed. professionals who knew how to fight the right way.

a2z likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2017

Some of the schools in our district do the same thing so parents believe the progress reports that inflate progress rather than let them see the students are falling further behind and need more services.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 27, 2017

The only thing I've seen is a bold-face lie about our class size limits. Angers parents every year.

otterpop likes this.
  11. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

Jan 27, 2017

I want a news channel to film my "hand picked, strong disciplinarian" (lead special ed teacher's words when I complained) para grabbing my new student with Down syndrome's tongue and forcing it back into his mouth, over and over. She is "training" him.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2017

Why don't you just call CPS?

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 27, 2017

The only thing I've seen is the loophole with subs. For a vacant position, they should hire a qualified long term sub for the year, but what they do is have a daily sub there for 30 days, and then change them to another sub. In my previous district, they would have the sub take off one week, then go back again for 30 days and so on.
    I understand they're doing this to save money, but that sub is in charge of the students for so long, they should be qualified; either credentialed, or at least pass the content test. That's the whole point of having a long term sub. Having a sub in there, who has no teaching experience, is not even in a credential program, has no desire to become a teacher and hasn't even passed the content exam, is just wrong.

Backroads likes this.
  14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 27, 2017

I can honestly say that my school doesn't do anything shady. It's so refreshing to be at a school that does things right for once.

At my last school, I encouraged a family to file due process for special ed services. They did, and they won.

MrTempest likes this.
  15. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 28, 2017

That's the kind of thing you call CPS about.

16. Jax123

Jax123 Rookie

Jan 29, 2017

The assistant principal at the high school isn't even certified as a principal....or certified as a teacher. He never taught a day in his life.

17. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jan 29, 2017

The district I was a high school student in has been in the news lately for some embarrassing things. The principal and his secretary made blatant political statements with their Halloween costumes (and posted them proudly on the school's FB page.) the high school later failed to notify parents/guardians of students when a bomb and shooting threat was made at the school. A history teacher at the middle school made all the black students in her class come to the front to re-enact slavery while she picked a couple white students to play the overseers.

And people are surprised when I tell them I have no desire to return to this district when I finish my teacher education program.