"What Really Drives My Parents Crazy"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by laf-a-lot, Mar 9, 2011.

1. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

I'm thinking of making a class book with my first graders with this title. They chose the topic and I think it has the potential to be really cute. I am also going to make sure they add ways to make their parents smile in thier writing too. I'm not a parent so I just wanted some opinions on if you would have any negative feelings toward this topic?? Thanks in advance for your opinions! :)

3. tarkle21

tarkle21 Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

I think just about any parent will be able to relate to this choice in topic. What exactly are you going to be putting in your class book?

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2011

Problem with it is you can not guarantee it will make a parent smile. I also think that making a book of things that make parents upset "driven crazy" is not a positive thing. It may be amusing to you, but I can't see all of your parents taking it that way.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 9, 2011

I have to agree. While the purpose is to be funny, I can see people taking it the wrong way. I would focus on what makes my parents smile.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 17, 2011

There is a book that can help you with this topic. It's the Top Secret Knowledge of Grownups. It is along the lines of what you are wanting but it is in a silly/sweet manner. For example, grownups tell you to brush your teeth so you won't have cavities but the real reason is so that you won't have monsters growing between your teeth.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 17, 2011

I think it is cute! But you'd definitely have to censor it.

"When I sneak pet toads into my bedroom" - Ok

"when I call my sister a poop-face" - not Ok.

It would probably be way too difficult for you to manage.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 17, 2011

When my brother was in first grade (in 1996), they did a class book.

I believe the students gave the general ideas for how the story went and the teacher wrote it.

The students illustrated it (There was a page in the book for every student to draw a picture for).

9. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Mar 18, 2011

Thank you for all your opinions! :)

Of course I would most definitely censor it and guide them to appropriate things to write,which won't be too hard. (there's a lot of guiding in 1st :)) But the outline I gave them to fill in with their ideas goes something like: "It really drives my parents crazy when I feed the dog my broccoli. But I love my parents and I want to make them smile. So, I try to make my parents smile by helping to make dinner without them even asking." The only problem I am having is that they are not very creative and they are all starting with "it drives my parents crazy when I fight with my sister" Maybe that book will help get the juices flowing :)

We will be using the company Student Treasures to publish the book. Each child will have their own page that they write and one page to illustrate.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 18, 2011

OK - I guess I will be the bad guy :( But this book would, as a parent, make me upset. Just using your example about feeding the dog broccoli, it wouldn't make me smile if my daughter helped me make dinner but still feed the dog broccoli. I don't really see how the two are related. IMHO - I really think you should stick with the last part of your statement - "I love my parents and I want to make them smile. So, I try to make them smile by helping . . . . " This would make a much better book that parents would treasure.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 18, 2011

When my brother did it in first grade, they wrote a creative story. Might be good to do a creative story instead? OR just do one about "Things I do to make my parents happy"

12. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 18, 2011

As a parent, I don't care for this type of class assignment where other families get a glimpse of what drives me crazy... I don't trust my own young children to be discriminating.

13. BethG

BethG Rookie

Mar 18, 2011

I loved your idea! That's it... just flat out loved it... March 22 is natl. goof off day and I used to have my 5th graders write what they thought their parents would do to goof off for a day. I never really thought about parents being offended, though I am a person who tends to think the world shouldn't be so offended all the time. I just tend to appreciate the humor.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 18, 2011

:yeahthat:

It did sound cute at first but I can just picture something that happened to me with one of my children's projects. It was hilarious but at the same time I cringed that my child shared what he did.

If your children are having a hard time being creative with this topic it is because not only have they not been exposed to this type of humor enough but also because it is a very sophisticated type of humor for their level. They may think it is funny but how the sentence is structured and the level of sarcasm is more abstract than they can perhaps achieve at this age (at least the majority of them). What you are doing is coming up with some universal truths and turning it into a "drives my parents crazy" type backwards statement to make it funny. These kids are still at a concrete stage so when you say "drives my parents crazy" they are thinking more literally and not in the context of making it a twisted humorous statement that really is a sophisticated play on words to bring out those "universal truths."

Though I agree with it not being an appropriate topic, I'm more thinking it isn't age appropriate either. It would require you to do more of the work than them.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 18, 2011

It isn't about being offended to me, it's about respecting that what might drive a parent "crazy" might be a serious issue of discpline. I would have no problem with my girls writing about what I would do to goof off, but I would have a real problem with them writing about what makes me crazy.

16. time out

time out Comrade

Mar 22, 2011

Wow, I was suprised by the feedback on this topic. I thought the idea was cute and clever but I can also see how it could go awry.

I once had my students create a class book called "What Teachers Can't Do" based on the book by Douglas Wood. He also wrote "What Moms Can't Do" and "What Dads Can't Do." The class book ended up being really cute because the kids had things like, "Teachers can't stand on their heads." You could just change the theme to, "What Parents Can't Do." Just an idea.