What Reading Series do you use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maggiedoodle, Apr 25, 2006.

1. maggiedoodle

maggiedoodle Rookie

Apr 25, 2006

Hello! Our school has recently selected a new reading series, and I think we're pretty much definitely going with Houghton Mifflin. I was wondering if anyone had used this, and what their feelings are. I'd be especially interested to hear from primary (especially 1st!)teachers. 1st grade has three weekly stories, and I'm not sure how I feel about that!
    Also, for anyone else, what reading series do YOU use? How do you like it?
    Thanks!

3. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Apr 26, 2006

We use the same series. There is waaay too much to teach in there, so you really have to pick and choose what is best for your particular class and/or grade level. We don't use the spelling in the HM series as it is much too easy for our student population.

4. lsmisko

lsmisko Rookie

May 5, 2006

I have HM too. The bummer with this program is that the stories are pretty lame. My students wrote recently during an "evaluate" week journal response that they didn't like the story because it was boring and I can't really disagree with them. The best hint I can give you as far as planning goes is this: if it has a red check mark next to it, do it; otherwise, fit it in if you can. Also, visit the Santa Maria Bonita school district website. It has tons of ideas. I'd give you the link, but I'm a new user and it won't let me.

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 6, 2006

We have scholastic but I choose not to use a reading series. I find better books that fit into my state standards. I feel that, for me, this works better

6. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

May 7, 2006

We use HM. What we do is supplement the material by selecting things that fit with the weekly phonics and reading skill. The workbook sheets are used very rarely. We opt to use more interactive hands-on learning activities instead.