What Reading Program Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mrsq, Mar 29, 2008.

1. mrsq

mrsq Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

This is my first year teaching. I teach a SDC class of 1-3 grades. I have been using Reading Mastery with my kiddos that get phonics and Edmark with those that cannot seem to learn phonics. I have only had success with one child with Edmark. The other kids recognize the words when they do the Edmark book, but they cannot read the words outside of Edmark. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone suggest a better reading program specifically designed for special ed. I know Reading Mastery is a general ed intervention, thus it is not well-suited for the majority of my kids.

3. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Apr 8, 2008

Sorry, I have no advice and I've asked this question on here several times as well. I also use Edmark and Reading Mastery depending on the child. In my case, I haven't had a lot of progress with RM but I have with Edmark. I've made up flashcards of the words that they have difficulty with in several different fonts. That helps them recognize the word in different print. I've had a few that have struggled with generalizing the words but overall, I love the program.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2008

I have had several students who have difficulty mastering the Edmark works in other fonts/environments etc. We sort of took a "multi sensory" approach and had the students copy the Edmark words with letter tiles, magnetic letters, etc. and then go through them that way (with signs). We also made flash cards in handwritten fonts, computer fonts, etc. We use the sign when we present the cards and this helps the students say the word. We also put all of the words that they know on a bingo board and use poker chips to play bingo, I will call a word and they have to cover it up on their page. I also have the students who are able copy their Edmark words onto seasonal cutouts (hearts during February, clovers during March, etc.) They enjoy this and it's a fun way to have a new set of flash cards. We also wrote most of the words from books 1 and 2 (that's where we are with most of my guys) on index cards in puffy paint. We let them touch it and show it to them after they learn the new word in the book (plus the new sign, etc.)

They eventually are able to generalize into other areas with the practice. I also copied some of the Edmark book pages (and picture matching activities) with my own handwriting and had the students do the Edmark version and then my version. This was helpful for generalizing.

Something else to look into is the Edmark computer software - this is another tool that can help the kids learn the words in more ways than just on the book.

5. mrsq

mrsq Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

Thanks for the input. I'll have to try that. I wish I had the Edmark computer program, gee then I would need a computer in my classroom too! Thanks again, I'll try the different fonts flashcards.