What qualifies you to teach __ grade?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sculteacher, Jun 26, 2008.

1. sculteacher

sculteacher Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

How would you answer this question?

"What qualifies you to teach 7/8th grade math?"

I have taught 5th grade for the past 6 years and this opportunity has presented itself and is tempting. It is 2 min. from home (other job is an hour away).
    I have worked with the jr. high age group (I am the leadership and yearbook advisor and run the tutoring program for that age group as well). I just have not taught an actual math class at that level...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2008

I would describe how you have worked with the age group and then add in strategies that you have used in your 5th grade class and how you can modify it to an upper grade.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2008

You could certainly mention your license and credentials as well.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 26, 2008

I was thrown into a 5th grade position while being educated to teach 7 thru 12th grade. I found a book called Yardsticks that goes through elementary school ages and describes what each age group is capable of doing, what works best in class for them, etc. It's a really awesome book and has helped me to prepare myself with working with younger kids. 5th grade is honestly going to be a ton of fun, so I would suggest you try out for the position :)

6. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I agree with Cassie753 and smalltowngirl.

Mention your credentials and certification. Mention your tutoring experience.

I would also suggest that you discuss your enthusiasm for this job. Think about something innovative or creative you could do to teach this class? Administration always likes to see passion in their applicants.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 26, 2008

I would think that some of the same reasons you are qualified to teach 5th are the same reasons you are qualified to teach 7/8. In many school systems, 5th grade is middle school. Teachers bring a lot more to the plate than just knowledge of subject matter. Having a true understanding of the age group is sometimes more powerful than being a math genius--especially if the math genius can't present the material in an appropriate manner for the age group.

8. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

Humor goes a long way

I was asked this very question about a 4th 5th grade split. I told them I was crazy enough to take the position. The administrator laughed and remembered me enough to give me the job. Sometimes a little (non-sarcastic) humor can go a long way.

Good luck!

9. sculteacher

sculteacher Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

Thank you everyone! :)