What Printer (All-In-One) Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 4, 2008.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

I'm going to buy a color inkjet printer/scanner/fax machine for my room. I'm looking for recommendations/avoidances from anyone who uses a printer a lot.

I want to give the students use of a digital camera and will be printing their photos, plus using the computer to custom create learning activities. I'm a marketing refugee (hahaha) so I really enjoy adding visuals to my work.

Any recommendations?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

Here is my advice. Ignore the actual cost of the printer -- in other words, don't fall for the cheapest one. First look at the cost of the ink cartridges. They are the real expense. Most of these all-in-ones required FOUR separate ink cartridges! That's almost $50 to replace the ink! The newer ones have special features that won't allow you to use a generic (cheaper) cartridge like the older ones. Some of them can even sense if you are using a refilled cartridge.

Price out the ink first, or you'll end up with a printer and no ink!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

Good advice RainStorm. That's one of the things I looked at when buying a new printer earlier this week. I also looked at when the printer I wanted was on sale, and if it was wifi ready. I ended up buying an HP, which is a first for me. I normally buy Dell, but I just didn't want to spend too much on a new printer this summer since I'm also buying a new camera.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

I bought an Epson 3-in-1 printer with 4 seperate ink cartridges and it is a complete waste of money. The ink lasts less than a week :(. I had a HP 3-in-1 printer and loved it. I will be buying a new one during all the back to school sales this summer.

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 4, 2008

I am on my 2nd HP because the first didn't work all that well, wore out quickly, and they replaced it (warranty) with a crappier model. I HATE IT!!!!! I just told my husband I want/need a new one. It is a piece of junk. I do not recommend buying anything by HP. I won't be.

7. teachall

teachall Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I bought a Lexmark from Walmart last year. It is a printer/scanner/copier combo. I paid about $30-35. Ink was reasonable 18 for black and a few more dollars for color. I also had ink refilled at Walgreens for $10 for black. I wouldn't say it is the best printer I have ever used. But not the worst either.:)

8. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 5, 2008

printers

Hi! I bought my printer 4 years ago. It still works great! (knock on wood) :p I sure have put it through its paces. The ink is expensive but does last a while. I have a "HP psc 1210 printer scanner copier". I have used it for all three capabilities. I bought it at Staples on sale. It was reasonably priced at $199.00. It is wonderful! :)

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

I have the HP OfficeJet J5780 All-in-One (scanner, copier, printer, fax) and have two cartidges to buy: black and color. I always run out of the black but they are $14 to buy (there is a larger cartidge to purchase for $29). I rarely run out of the color, so I don't find it too horrible on the checkbook to purchase black. I like it and would give my recommendation for it.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 5, 2008

Mine is an HP PSC 1610 xi All-in-One

I like it. I've never really had any problems with it! The ink isn't too expensive. I think it's actually a little lower than others.

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

I have an HP 1210 Printer, Scanner Copier from 2002. It uses the 56 black ink and the 57 color in. The ink price itself isn't as bad, but I have to replace it a lot...even though I always use the draft print mode. The past year my unit has been acting funny....jamming a lot, not excepting some fonts, so I think it's time for a new one. I'm thinking of replacing it with one of those printers that uses the 4 in cartidges, that way if I use one color more than the others I am only having to replace one color at a time. The print quality has been good. I use it to make a lot of my own games and centers and just about anything else. I'm an HP fan! I have had lexmark and canon before....all have been awful.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

Mine is the 4 ink cartridge and I swear my black ink only prints out about 20 pages or less. My printer will use other colors when my warning light for the end of my black ink comes on but then I usually end up having to replace my blue ink after every 30-35 pages or so.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

I have an MFC 230C from Brother... I absolutely love it. I don't use it as a fax machine, but it can be used for that. I have done a LOT of printing on it, and have only changed the black ink twice since December (once just in the past week)... my color ink is getting low and will need replacing in the next little while... but I used it a LOT.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2008

I have an HP Deskjet F380 All-In-One printer/scanner/copier at home. I don't have one in my room yet.

I need 2 cartridges, black and color. They seem to last very well unless I print lots of photos. I recycle my cartridges at Staples for $3 store credit each.