What pencil sharpener do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, May 28, 2009.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 28, 2009

I'm in the process of buying a new pencil sharpener for my math classes next year. I don't want to buy a crappy one that dies out a month into the school year. They sharpen their pencils all the time, and I want one that will hold up.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :D

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 28, 2009

I haven't found a pencil sharpener that can stand up to the constant sharpening the kids do. I make them each buy a handheld pencil sharpener with a shavings holder.

4. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 28, 2009

I have two X-Acto Powerhouse pencil sharpeners and the kids and I love them. They come with a two year warranty on them against breakage for any reason as long as you have the receipt. I purchased mine through Office Depot - they are about $45 each, but well worth it. They only accomodate regular size pencils. I would recommend this pencil sharpener - in fact when these tire out in about 3 years, I'll buy two more.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/595621/X-Acto-By-Boston-Powerhouse-Electric/?cm_vc=C5203

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 28, 2009

I have x-acto as well.

6. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 28, 2009

I just got the best pencil sharpener I've ever had put into my room this year (funny how somethng as simple as a pencil sharpener can make your day (smile!))
    It's a "Foray" and it only has one hole the size of a "normal" #2 pencil, which is a disadvantage, I guess - but it works like a charm and is VERY QUIET!

7. Goldie

Goldie Companion

May 28, 2009

I have used the Xacto brand pencil sharpeners for the last several years. They cost about $50 and last about two years.
    The ones I've purchased have (I think) 5 choices for the the size of pencil. I've purchased them from Office Max. Well worth the money!!!! Get the warranty.

8. Irma

Irma Companion

May 28, 2009

I have had no luck with any of my pencil sharpeners- even when I've spent over $40 on one. I'll look at the Xacto but I think I've tried this one too. Always willing to find the perfect one. It's my ultimate search.

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 28, 2009

I buy this one from my district for about $30 and it is great. I also don't let my students sharpen their own pencils in it, I do. It's a hassle but it lasts that way!!

10. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 28, 2009

Thanks, guys. I have to spend $100 before the end of the year and my pencil sharpener is about to bite the dust! I was looking into an x-acto, so I think I may go with that brand since many of you are giving it the thumbs up.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 28, 2009

I use the X-acto Powerhouse. I teach the children to count 1001, 1002, 1003, then remove the pencil. If not sharp, then repeat. The one I purchased this year lasted 3 nine weeks, only jammed once, and still works.

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 28, 2009

I ordered an X-Acto model that works great! We had gone through 3 other electric pencil sharpeners by mid-year, but they were left from previous years. I received some additional $$ at Christmas, so I shelled out about $70 for a good one and I haven't been disappointed. I cannot remember the model, but it accommodates lots of different sizes of pencils, and it has this blue light that comes on when the auto shut-off kicks in and the pencil is finished and sharp. It's quick, relatively quiet, and works!!