What pants should I wear with a red t-shirt?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by perplexed, Sep 2, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Sep 2, 2012

On the first day of school, we're supposed to wear red t-shirts that the school purchased. It's to promote PBIS and says something about "Panther Pride".

While the idea is good, I don't want to wear a t-shirt on the first day. The students are all getting a t-shirt too. I'm sure they all carefully picked out their first day of school outfits, so they'll probably not want to change into a t-shirt either. They get it the first day.

I normally like to dress really nice and professional to set a good impression on the first day. I can just feel a difference in my mind when I dress nice, especially when I am setting a first impression.

First, I'm in between a medium and a large. Medium is a little too snug, but Large is too big and sloppy on me. I did take a size large though. I just don't like how men t-shirts look on my body.

Second, what kind of pants should I wear? I don't want to wear jeans. I don't have any that fit. I love all my dress pants, but a t-shirt and dress pants don't go well together. My next thought was khakis, but I don't own a tan pair, but I do have a olive green color, and that doesn't go with red. I suppose I could purchase a pair of tan khakis.

What pants would you wear with a red t-shirt? Can I get buy with black dress pants or does that not go together at all?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

Black dress pants, with dress shoes, would look fine.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I would wear a black A-line knee-length skirt, and a black cardigan with little black ballet flats.

Black dress pants would also be fine.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

A t-shirt with dress pants seems odd to me. I'd buy khakis if you'd wear them again. Of course, I'd wear jeans. What are your colleagues wearing.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 2, 2012

Khakis sound good. If you're going to the store at some point maybe look for a denim skirt and cute red shoes?

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

I don't wear skirts, but I have to say a red shirt and denim skirt sounds cute. :)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 2, 2012

Besides a black bottom, grey & red go together so a grey skirt or pants, OR tan bottoms...even white.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 2, 2012

I never wear skirts to school but if I had to I would choose a long one not a mini!

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

Get some jeans that fit so you can wear them with the shirt asap.
    The way people are wearing their clothes nowadays, YOU can get away with wearing the red shirt with black, beige, or white pants. NOW! If you want to go on the wild side, wear it with purple, or red pants!
    Enjoy your red shirt, and get a second one!:hugs:
    Rebel1

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 2, 2012

I would do beige khakis and dress shoes. I can definitely feel you on the in-between sizes and not wanting to wear that the first day though!

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

Any neutral color pair of pants - black, blue, grey, khaki - will go with red. If everyone else is wearing the same thing, I wouldn't worry about not looking professional. If it is hot here on the first day, I will be wearing capris and some sort of sleeveless top!

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I would go with black pants and dress shoes. I use to have a pair of black dockers that I would wear with a school t-shirt.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

Ick. I don't like to wear tshirts sized for men.

Can you put a collared shirt under it? Or a thin, long sleeved shirt of a complimenting color ... both options to dress it up a bit?

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Sep 2, 2012

I would pair it with black dress pants.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

I am in the same boat.
    We have to wear our PBIS shirts on Day 1 & 2!
    Day 1 the kids get theirs to wear the next day.

It is a t-shirt and I NEVER wear a t-shirt.
    IMO no one looks good in a t-shirt outside of exercise or cleaning.
    BAHAHAHAHAHA

I have decided that it is intended to be casual and no one will look dressed up these days. Day 1 I am wearing mine with white capri's and wedge sandals. Day 2 with khaki capris and beaded sandals.

I had hoped to wear a collared shirt under it or a light sweater over it. But now, it's going to be in the upper 80's and we do not have AC!

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

I would wear a denim skirt with it.

18. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Sep 2, 2012

Thanks for all the great suggestions! You all gave me lots of ideas. I tried the shirts on. I realized I don't like it because it's pretty plain in the front. It has in very tiny writing the name of the school in one corner on the front and the rest of the design is on the back. So it looks like a plain red shirt. It just looks so sloppy. Oh well-- can't do much about it. I am still using all you suggestions when I go shopping tonight or tomorrow. I'll have to wear the shirt to see how it looks when I try things on.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

For awhile we had t-shirts to wear on the first day of school. What I wore with it depended on the color of the shirt. I've worn twill pants/capris in khaki, olive green, brown, and black. I've also worn a denim pencil skirt and a black twill a-line skirt. I always wore sandals.

I also always alter my t-shirts. I have to have an extra-large to get my boobs in it, but then the sleeves are below my elbows and the bottom covers my butt. Crew-neck shirts also look like a turtle-neck on me. So, I hem the sleeves and bottom, taper the sides, and turn the crew neck into a v-neck. I can fix it in about an hour, and it looks so much better than a regular sloppy t-shirt.

20. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Sep 2, 2012

I would pair it with a denim skirt, black pants, or white or khaki capris if it was me.

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

My first three years at this job, they did the option of jeans and school colors on the first day, which everyone did. I did it my first year but I hated it. I like to be particularly professional looking on day one. So the next two years I skipped it, but then I kind of didn't feel like part of the "team" since almost everyone else did it. Fortunately, this year, they switched it so that we all wore jeans on Thursday before the 4 day weekend instead.

I would definitely wear jeans or a denim skirt if I could in your situation. But really you can wear it with almost anything. I like the idea of wearing it with grey.

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

I would definitely wear a denim skirt. It's a little more dressed up but doesn't look weird. IMO, a t shirt with dress pants would look very wrong...much worse than just wearing the jeans!

If wearing school shirts is going to be a norm throughout the year, would it be possible to make your own? We are supposed to wear a "spirit shirt" every Friday and a bunch of teachers have gotten their own made with iron-ons and such so that they could be sure to get a shirt they liked/that fit well rather than a generic men's t shirt.

23. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Sep 3, 2012

I know you don't want to wear jeans, but my first thought was to pair the red shirt with fitted black jeans. I actually think that'll look nice.

24. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

I agree that a men's tshirt with dress pants wouldn't look right at all. A high-waisted skirt would be a great way to make it more feminine. Tuck in the tee and cuff the sleeves! I always cuff the sleeves of any men's or otherwise oversize shirts I have to wear and it really helps. You can add one little stitch if you want to make it more secure, but I normally don't bother.

I don't wear red tops with tan/beige bottoms even though they match well because I feel like I'd look like a Target employee! :lol:

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

I wear a men's T-shirt and dress pants to work all the time. To me, I'm supposed to wear the dress pants, and I'm required to wear the T-shirt on spirit days, so what else am I going to wear them with?

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 3, 2012

:lol:

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2012

This thread reminds me that I need to find out from a few people today if we are supposed to wear our school shirts tomorrow for the first day. We traditionally have, but someone pointed out last week that several teachers don't have them. I wish ours were red! They are pale mint green polo shirts (blech!) which, unfortunately, don't look good on any of us!

If I can't reach anyone, I'll probably wear a different shirt with white crop pants and take the polo to change into if most people are wearing them.

28. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 3, 2012

White, tan, or black would be fine. Wearing a tshirt that promotes school spirit is a great idea. You make yourself easily recognizable for parents. You are showing the children that you love your school and have school spirit. Save the dressy outfit for the 2nd day and enjoy the moment! It's the first day! The most important meeting that you will have your students all year. They will form opinions about you and your class based on your demeanor, not on your dress. Hope your day goes well!:love::love: