What Other Skills Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2009

Especially now in this economy where they're laying off teachers, none of us know how secure our jobs are. We really have to think about our futures here.

What other NON-TEACHING degrees, skills, certifications do you possess if you were out of the teaching field altogether?

I could work towards becoming a real estate agent since I've taken the principles course before & even have my notary public certification, but in this economy, I probably wouldn't be doing much better.

I could do clerical work, but I don't really know Excel that well since I have no reason to use it.

I'm afraid the only other thing I could get back into without yrs of college again is the retail industry. :(

However, I personally have decided to return to school where I'm currently a speech pathology student. :)

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

I could possibly do something with cooking or baking...possibly interior design...key word...possibly...

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

...or retail management because I years of supervisory experience in retail...but that is something I do not want to do!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2009

Speaking of retail, although I've never been a manager or supervisori, I think I have enough retail/customer service experience to be one. I was never one in the past because they always wanted someone FT at 40 hrs/wk & I was always in school too & could never work that much.

But, needless to say that I wouldn't want to get back into retail! :mad:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

I'm comfortable enough with a household full of kids that I could do childcare.

I do a lot of freelance writing. Right now that's on hold with my medical issues, but I'm hoping it picks up again in a month or so.

In my other life, before husband and kids, I waitressed. But that's a long time ago.

All that said, I'm logical and a good problem solver. I woud find something that would pay our basic bills if I had to.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

I could probably do secretarial work. I worked in a lawyer's office for 4 years while I was going to school.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

I'm looking at PR/Promotions and marketing. I'd be excellent at coordinating. I'd also be really good at sales, but that's tricky. I can sell anything, but I don't want my job to be dependent on other people's decisions, especially in this economy.

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 10, 2009

I was once a dental assistant but wouldn't want to do that. Many businesses like to hire teachers because they are organized and all the other skills that we use as teachers.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

I made my way through college working in the hospitality industry. I began as front desk, and then began working at a high-end resort in the Reservations Department. Actually, I still work there in the summer! So, I have customer service skills, and office/clerical skills. I did a lot of my supervisor's work, managed our online reservations system, and always enjoyed that sort of work. Sometimes I miss that kind of work. I did enjoy it... :O) I would probably seek employment in that sort of field if I had to...

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 10, 2009

I worked during college as a cashier in a bookstore, but retails jobs go by the wayside waaaaay before teaching jobs. I guess I could get my certification to be a translator. I doubt I could do court translations because of the legal mumbo jumbo, but I'm fairly good at translating documents. I heard it pays better than teaching anyway

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

Almost everything pays better than teaching! lol *sniffle sniffle*

13. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

Most of my jobs has to do with education. When I was in 11th grade, I started working for a tutoring company as a tutor until I was in college, then I worked as a math tutor in the college of education.... then I went to work as a math teacher... so basically all my experiences have been towards education. I guess it has it upside, because when they interviewed me, I had a lot of experience; but the down side is all of the experience is on education.

My other skills is more like computer work. I never had like a 9-5 job on it though. Right now I'm free lancing for a small company but once again, no regular pay, I just get 15% of the profit.

This summer I hope to get a job at a camp on computer technology. It's only 10 days but they pay a lot. about $50 an hr so hopefully that will broaden my horizon a little bit.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

I could do a lot of things. I was a salesperson, a sales manager, a director of a business unit, and a grant writer. I had child care in my home and I am good on ebay. I have a degree in accounting and marketing.

It doesn't matter though. No one is hiring. It is a terrible time to lose a job and it is going to get worse before it's better. To think that- if you lose your job you can just pick up something in the mean time to help out while you look for the real job you want- is going to work, is kind of wishful thinking. That's what everyone else is doing too. Not to be doom and gloom but these times are bad. I'm old and I haven't seen it worse than this.

15. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

my best friend wants to get an MBA and become an event planner -- I would totally work with her over the summers ( or full time if I cant find a job )

I really dont know what I will do if I cant find a teaching job.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

Oh, you'll get a teaching job!

17. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

thanks lemon! :)

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

I've worked in the restaurant industry as a restaurant hostess, I've also been a sign language interpreter--free lance and educational.

If I lost my job, I'd interpret.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

I could open and run a bike shop. I can also build bicycles from the frame up.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

My husband also does a lot of photography when he's not teaching.

He works part time with one of the local photography studios. It's the studio that covers his school, mine, and 2 or 3 others in the area. He covers a lot of the sports and the concerts and stuff for their yearbooks.

When he's not doing that, he freelances a lot for the local Catholic newspaper. He gets a picture or two into every week's edition. The money is good, and it's all local Long Island stuff.

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 10, 2009

I would like to do something that requries excellent organizational skills. I am super at that! A librarian would be an ideal job for me-I worked in the public library all through high school. Baking or cooking would be a close third.

22. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Jan 10, 2009

I am a licensed optician, and have worked in various optometry offices all through college, I have done that for about 10 years now!! :eek: So I could always do that, it is what I am currently doing since I can't find a teaching job. I have also worked retail, and have some supervisory retail experience as well. I think I could be a writer but I have zero experience writing professionally so I don't know how probable it would be for me to get a job in that sector. I could always do secretarial/receptionist stuff since I can type pretty fast and have basic computer skills with Word etc. I really want a teaching job though... :)

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

Of course, we need to realize that, as the economy worsens, a lot of these other fields will be effected as well.

24. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 10, 2009

I make more money writing than I make teaching. I could always pick up more clients.

25. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

I can detail cars, wait tables, drive a bus, do construction work, write, and sell things...and that's about it for now.

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 10, 2009

I don't really know what else I would do...I like learning about food and nutrition, so a nutritionist would probably be fun for me. I love organizing, but I'm not sure what I could do with that.

27. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

I'm sure the military would love to have me back.

...So besides killing people ;)

I'm a good computer programmer.

I could work at any company that needed a statistician.

I did some concrete work in my youth though I wouldn't want to do that again. getting to old for that.

I do all the cooking in the house so I guess I could get a job as a cook somewhere.

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

That's what I am talking about.

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

I don't know that it's going to get better soon, but it's not clear to me that it really is going to get radically worse - a couple of key indicators in my neck of the woods were sliding and sliding but are unexpectedly holding steady now.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

Until the housing industry is leveled it isn't going to get better.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

I was a marketing major in college (undergrad)...Advertising and PR are what every marketing major wants to do, for the most part. Sales tends to be where they start, though...Like most occupations and professions, you have to start 'at the bottom' and work your way up, sometimes taking the jobs that aren't your 'goal' in order to eventually get to it...and unless you are the CEO, most jobs are dependent on other peoples' decisions...

32. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

Well, besides being an art educator, I am an artist. I have two side jobs set up that I can start anytime where I will be painting bedroom murals for children. The pay isn't consistent. I also carve wood and stone but that's experimental on my part. Ceramic sculpture is more accessible but again, I haven't made any great efforts to do more with my artist career. I typically work so that lay people can access hand made art. It's hard to compete with mass production, sadly.

I also can work as a carpenter, house painter, and tile layer if I had to. Essentially, I'd be a general contractor in a remodeling situation. Economics being the way they are, work is getting scarce in that realm.

33. smalltowngal

Jan 11, 2009

HMM-my hubby tried to get back into the military reserves for some extra money. They wouldn't have him back! He was an E4 in the Navy, but going to the reserves he'd have to go back to being an E3. The Air Force/Air National Guard haven't been chopping at the bit to call him back.

34. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

I'm surprised to hear that since one of my cousins just enlisted in the naval reserve (was active Navy a few years back). They call him up immediately to go on active duty. He is now in Iraq.

35. smalltowngal

Jan 11, 2009

That's just it! He WANTS to go to Iraq! He just doesn't want to get a demonition to do it. He told the Air people that he wants to go over there as well. You know the military though, they are sloooooooow!

36. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 14, 2009

Let's see my Bachelor's and Associate's degree is in General Studies so I doubt that'd be of much help to me.

I did, however, get a minor in History and take a few grad courses in History. I was working as a curatorial assistant for several months back in 2003 so I suppose I could always go back to that kind of work.

I worked as a Bio/Chem Lab Assiatnt for a few years when I was an undergraduate student trying to obtain my Associate's degree and actually tried to have Manpower Technical place me later on. So, I suppose I could always look into that again, especially since I have radiation safety and bloode borne pathogens training under my belt.

As for retail, there's NO WAY I'd ever go back to that field and I can't stand clerical work. I tried having a temp agency place me a few times in clerical settings and was awful at it. Not to mention, one employer told the temp agency I wasn't cut out for that kind of work and to not even bother placing me ever again.

37. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Well, that "perfect job" that was in the news yesterday of island caretaker in Australia sounds just about right for me! ;)

Other than that, I don't know. I'm trying to figure that out right now! I interned in radio promotions and would probably like working in that, or promotions for a record label.

38. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 14, 2009

I know. Tell me about it! :haha:

39. amethyst24

amethyst24 Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

I do cake decorating on the side, I also do interior design. I could do some sort of graphic designs job as I am an artist as well. Anything to do with art would be fine with me!!

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 14, 2009

Like HMM, I could work for any company that needed a statistictian. I'm eligible to take the actuarial exams, so there's that as well.

In any event, there is no legal job that is "below me" if I need to be able to put a roof over my kids heads and food on the table. I'll wait tables, flip burgers, scoop popcorn or whatever else I need to in order to keep my kids cared for.

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2009

Absolutely!!