What other jobs would you be happy with

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 25, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

if you're not hired as a teacher next year?

I want to be happy with whatever I end up doing but really would love to be settled somewhere.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2010

I think I can be happy doing several other things besides teaching in a classroom setting. I am mainly just looking for something that I can "settle" into for a while (subbing is not doing it for me) and something that would provide me enough income to move out of my father's house. Ugh.

4. shurweee

shurweee Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

You know... I was just thinking about that! Would any of you do anything else related to kids? Such as a daycare?

I would even consider just doing administrative work for a year or however long it'll take me to get hired as a teacher. Thanks for starting this thread!

5. ms.

ms. Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

I wouldn't mind working in a school library... although I think it is much more likely that I will be hired as a teacher.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

During my SAHM years I also freelanced as a writer. I made some decent money, and the hours were, of course, incredibly flexible.

At the same time, I did volunteer work with a local adoption agency-- the same one we used when we adopted Brian. I was a "greeter" at JFK, meeting infant Korean adoptees at the gate, clearing them through Customs and Immigration, and bringing them out to meet their new families for the first time. I seldom left dry-eyed. So something along those lines would also be very appealing.

In this economy, of course, I would be jumping at any job likely to put food on the table.

7. sydneygirl

sydneygirl Rookie

Mar 26, 2010

As a temporary teacher (a substitute that gets long blocks of work up to a year) I dread the count down to the end of the year and worrying where I will end up. Options I've considered include retraining for early childhood (preschool) care, tutoring and the long term dream of being self sufficient on our own little farm.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2010

If I can't find a teaching job by this fall I'm seriously looking at other options for jobs. I'll probably see if I could go full-time at the grocery store I work at and apply for any other job I'm qualified for. I would really like to teach, but I feel like I've being putting a lot of things on my life on hold looking for a teaching job.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2010

I would go back to giving piano lessons. I had quite a list of students and still get calls to teach. It was decent money but was difficult doing it out of the home when my children were young. It would be much easier now that they are older. I really enjoyed it.

10. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 26, 2010

I did that after looking for two school years. Then I saw a news story about a local district that was "looking for teachers" and put in an application. I honestly expected to never hear from them and then got a call a week later for an interview!

Of course I am totally out of practice now and have to study all of the information again! But I am hopeful!

Don't give up hope!

Honestly if I don't get a teaching job, I need to do "something" to make ends meet. I have been teaching sewing but that isn't enough right now.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

I honestly would probably not work at all. My husband makes enough to support the whole family. Some of the extras like our beach condo and Disney Vacation Club would have to go. I work so that we can have extra luxuries. I do not think that I would be happy doing anything else.

12. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Mar 26, 2010

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to be starting a new job at a hardware store. I don't know if it will be a full or part time position yet, but I'll take what I can get and search for teaching jobs all the while and I'm not going to stop until I get one!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2010

Good luck! I hope you get the job!

I haven't given up hope yet and even if I get a job outside of education I am going to keep my certifications current in hopes of being able to get a teaching job in a few years. Right now I'm willing to relocate to a couple of other states, so I'm hoping that will help.

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

I agree. I'm sick of feeling like my future is tied to finding a teaching position.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2010

I honestly don't know what I would do, other than I would love to be able to work downtown, be able to wear something dry cleanable to work along with some nice heels (and not worry about whether it would be spit on, if I would have to restrain or chase after someone....). I would also love to work an 8 hour job where I would be able to leave my work at work.

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

Sounds lovely. :) I have often fantasized about having a desk or dare I say, a cubicle. I don't know why.