what order do you teach the ABC's?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Sheila, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

What order do you teach the ABC's? I have been teaching preschool for six years (coming up on my 7th), and have always done things the same. BUT.... I am interested in perhaps trying a new approach. What order do YOU teach the alphabet, and why? Thanks in advance for your help.:whistle:

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jun 18, 2010

I use Zoo Phonics which is a program that teaches the letters in alphabetical order. I have used Phonic Soup which teaches the letters according to the sounds children learn to say first. Some programs teach curve letters first. I'm not sure if it really matters what order the letters are taught in. I think if you do phonemic awareness consistently, children will learn the letters and sounds regardless of order.

4. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Jun 20, 2010

I used to teach a curriculum that taught the letters and the sounds together. They started with the vowels first then added the constinants so they could then teach blending the second half of the year.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 21, 2010

We have the Waterford Early Learning program and it starts with A and goes alphabetically.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jun 26, 2010

I do it alphabetically and we learn the uppercase and lowercase and letter sound together, the kindergarten program used McMillian/Mcgraw and it goes differently--- starts with the letter O,then C ---I don't remember the rest of the order

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

We start with m, s, t, b, a and then progress from there. I like starting with those letters because once they know these, we can make words. All of those consonants except s can be used appropriately at the beginning or end of the word.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 27, 2010

I taught in a cenrer that did them in order... it meant we were oding things just to hit the letter instead of things that made sense thematically... so when I cnahged school, I chose my letters based on what we were talking about... so we did H around Halloween, P for pumpkins, s for snow... T for turkeys/thanksgiving... V for valentine's day. I didn't ALWAYS have a letter that we hadn't covered yet that matched, but it seemed to make more sense to my kids.

I don't currently focus on particular letters for the week, just expose as we do our normal activities.