What Now!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by daddy'sgirl, Jul 27, 2007.

1. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Ok. So I did my pre-screening interview with HR on yesterday for sped teacher position and it went really well. So she fowarded my info to the elementary principals in the district. First thing this morning I got 3 calls from principals wanting to set up interviews. I just got back from interview #1 and was offered the position. The problem is I have no idea what I will be doing!! The principal says that he waits until he sees what the sped needs are and then puts teachers where they are needed. So I don't know if this will be resource, co-teach, in-class support or what! I still have the other 2 interviews scheduled for Monday. (breathe) So does anyone know if this is generally how all sped teacher placements work on the elementary level or should I go to the other 2 interviews and hope for a clearly defined position? I'm afraid that I won't have time to prepare if I don't know who or what I'll be teaching until right before school starts. I'm so confused!!!! Please help me!!:help:

3. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I'm not sure, so I can't help you with that.
    However, just want to say congrats!
    Either way it looks like you landed a position!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I would be honest and let him know that you have two more interviews. The same way they shop around for teachers, we have to shop around for jobs. You want to make a decision based on being informed and this offer doesn't bring much info with it. I would be honest and ask for a one week window.

5. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

It may be confusing, but you're really in a great position!!
    Definitely interview with the other principals on Monday. Not all principals have such a vague idea of what positions they have open. The other principals may have a very good idea of what they need and be able to tell you. When you've finished all interviews you will probably have a better idea of what to do next.
    Don't hyperventilate; if sp.ed. teachers are as hard to find in TX as they are in TN, you'll have a job when the year starts. I have also found that sp.ed. teachers have a bit more flexibility at the beginning of the year while the reg.ed. teachers must hit the ground running as soon as the students walk through the doors. At the 2 schools I've worked at over the last 10 years we always had time to review records and learn a bit about our students before actually having them come to us (or us come to them).

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

This is how it is at my school. We (the Special Ed team) spend the first couple of days assessing the needs of our identified students, observing them in their classrooms, and deciding how we can best meet those needs with the staffing we have. We begin our formal work with our students the second week of school.

I would agree what you should certainly go to the other interviews, but don't let the uncertainly of the first job put you off. To me, wanting to wait to make firm decisions indicates an interest in meeting the needs of the students in the best way possible.

7. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks everyone for you replies. I really appreciate you guys. I never really thought of the the fact that the students may not come into my room (if I have one) the very first day of school. I will definitely still go to the other interviews on Monday. Thanks again.