What novels do you use to start the year?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by WaterfallLady, Jul 22, 2010.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2010

I actually teach middle and high schoolers, but I have the third grade reading group. So, I teach middle and high schoolers in third grade reading, basically, except its adapted for their interests and more intensive, etc.

I'm lost with novels. What are you starting the year with? My students are very immature because of their disabilities and teenage themes are lost on them. DO you think Because of Winn Dixie is too hard to start the year with? Any other ideas?

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Last year my class read the following novels:
    Freckle Juice
    Superfudge
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    James and the Giant Peach
    Chocolate Fever
    Fantastic Mr. Fox

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2010

Wow, the reading levels for the Roald Dahl books are really high and I'm suprised you can do it with third graders!

5. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I taught fourth grade last year and read James and the Giant Peach aloud to my students. They loved it and it was constantly being borrowed. This year, I am back to teaching third grade and I would still love to read it aloud, but maybe I'll wait until later in the year.

Books that I read aloud or used in reading groups when I taught third grade previously included:

Jumanji (good book for inferencing and context clues)
    Zathura
    The Stories Julian Tells
    Ralph S. Mouse
    Patricia Polacco books are great for third grade
    Where the Wild Things Are (really good book to discuss character change and elements of a story)
    Freckle Juice
    The Jacket (Andrew Clements writes good books that may be more mature in theme than a typical third grade book but are not extremely complicated) This is a book about race relations and making accusations.
    Frindle (Another good book by Clements)

If I can think of others, I will add to the list. I think Because of Winn Dixie would be complicated for third graders, especially at the beginning of the year. Do you know what their reading levels are?

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

HI Waterfall Lady,

I teach an inclusion class. My special education children loved reading books by Roald Dahl.

I downloaded the audio books onto my iPod and my class listened to it. They enjoyed it. I also created and modified a lot of the activities to go along with stories. I spent a lot of time talking about what happened in the stories after we listened to each chapter.

cutelilram,
    Thanks for listing other books. I might change some of the novels this year. Thanks again!

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2010

Thanks. They are in middle school and high school but are all around the third grade reading level. I may have a few at high second and I know I have one at mid fourth but she wouldn't be able to function cognitively in a higher group.